- Rock Star’s popular GTA Online at times can take forever to load the game.
- In this article, we explore how to fix GTA Online stuck on loading issues with a few easy steps.
- Check out our dedicated Gaming section for updates on video games.
- If the issue persists, check out our GTA 5 Online section for more resources.
GTA Online is a popular online multiplayer action-adventure game for GTA players. That said, some users have reported the GTA online stuck on loading screen issue when playing the game.
Rock Star has published a troubleshooting guide to fix the issue on their support blog. According to the developers, the issue can occur due to invalid login attempts or connection issues.
In this article, we have listed some of the best troubleshooting steps to help you resolve the GTA online stuck on the loading screen on PC.
How can I fix the GTA online stuck on loading screen issue?
GTA online stuck on the loading screen after the mission
1. Quit and restart
If the game takes more than 3 minutes to load, then you should quit and try again. Waiting any longer usually shows an error forcing you to restart the online session again.
If that fails, try to start a solo session, and once online try to join the crew option. You can further reduce the time if you use the invite-only session to play with other known players instead of waiting to join public lobbies.
Try another character slot
According to Rock Star, changing to another character slot can fix the issue. Try loading another character slot to determine whether the problem is happening only on that specific character.
Check GTA Online status
Next, be sure to check if you are trying to play GTA Online during the maintenance period.
- Go to the RockStar Games service status page.
- Go through the list of games.
- Under Grand Theft Auto Online, check if the game is highlighted in red for your device.
2. Check for update
Check the game version
- Launch the game.
- Go to Online.
- Select Options.
- At the bottom, check the version of the game.
Force update on Steam
- Launch the Steam client.
- Open the Game library.
- Right-click on GTA and select Properties.
- Open the Local Files tab.
- Click on Verify the Integrity of Game Files.
- Steam will check for any issues with the game files and download any pending updates.
GTA updates automatically when you launch the game. However, at times the update can fail. Manually checking for the update can fix any issues that can be causing GTA online stuck on the loading screen issue.
3. Reset your respawn location (PS4 / Xbox)
- Log into the social club page using your console.
- Select Settings from the top right corner.
- Select Linked Accounts.
- Next, unlink the PSN ID or Gamertag or that you have linked to the Social Club account.
- Login to the character you were having an issue with and set your spawn location to “Last Known Location”.
- Re-Link the PSN ID or Gamertag to the Social Club account.
Resetting your respawn location is helpful if the first GTA online load screen gets stuck, but there is still animation, and you can access Xbox Home, etc.
4. Restart your home network
- Turn off your modem and the WiFi router.
- Unplug all the cables connected to the network device.
- Leave the router idle for a few minutes.
- Reconnect the Ethernet cable and the power cord.
- Restart and check if the issue is resolved.
If restarting your network did not resolve the issue, try resetting your network device.
Note: Resetting your network router should be done as a last resort, as it will delete all the settings including port forwarding configuration, and set it to factory default.
Reset your router
- Locate the Reset button on the back of your router.
- Make sure the router is powered on.
- Use a paperclip or a SIM ejector tool (any pointy object) to press and hold the Reset button for 15 seconds.
- Release the button once you see the lights blinking.
- Wait for the router to fully reset and power on.
Once done, reconnect GTA Online to see if the error is resolved.
The GTA online stuck on the loading screen usually occurs due to connectivity problems or a glitch in the game. Follow the steps in this article one by one to resolve the issue.
FAQs: Learn more about GTA online stuck on the loading screen
- How do you fix GTA Online when it won’t load?
Make sure the issue is not with a specific character slot. Unlink the Gamer Tag or PSN ID or check for connectivity issues. If the issue persists, try using a VPN for GTA Online to resolve the error.
- Why is GTA Online taking forever to load?
GTA online usually takes a long time to load due to the sheer size of the open world. It also takes time to put the user in a game in-sync with other users.
- How do speed up GTA Online loading?
To speed up GTA Online loading, try to start the game in as a solo. Once in, you can join a multi-player session from the game menu.