Internet Explorer Running Slow in Windows 10? FIX it or Change it
While Windows 10 was still in the form of Technical Preview, Microsoft was advising users that glitches and problems were to be expected. One of them was the slow performance of the default Internet Explorer browser.
Many users have been disappointed on the new default browser introduced by Microsoft since March 17, 2017, and eagerly waited for Internet Explorer 12 to fix the issues and end Edge era faster.
Microsoft confirmed that IE 11 is the last version of Internet Explorer. Therefore, if you want to make it work, read this article and find out:
- Why is Internet Explorer slow
- How to speed up Internet Explorer
– Clear cache regularly
– Disable add-ons
– Scan system for errors
– Reset all zones to Default level
Read also: 5 of the best VPNs for Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer 11 Slow Performance
A few users have noticed that “Find and fix problems with Internet Explorer performance” link no longer exists on Microsoft’s support page. Soon after that, Microsoft dropped support on this page for easy fix solutions.
You can find support to fix Internet Explorer issues in the articles and guides below:
- Fix: Internet Explorer black screen issues
- SOLVED: Internet Explorer 11 Freezes, Doesn’t Play Videos
- FIX: Internet Explorer 11 has Proxy Problems After Update
- FIX: Internet Explorer 11 Crashes in Windows 10, 8.1, 8
- FIX: Zimbra Internet Explorer issues in Windows 10, 8.1
- How to fix Internet Explorer 11 res://aaResources.dll/104 error
Many early testers of Windows 10 have been complaining that Internet Explorer is rather slow for them, as a couple of forum posts have surfaced at the time of release. As a reminder, if you didn’t know, Windows 10 Technical Preview came with the same Internet Explorer 11 version as in Windows 8.1, but it did sport some improvements.
Windows 10 users have used the Feedback app in Windows 10 TP build 9860 to complain about the existing Internet Explorer version. Here’s what one of them has been saying:
“Can’t say why. Page loading super slow. Even already visited pages opened in new tab”
Why is Internet Explorer slow?
Internet Explorer 11 has aimed to be the first browser to make Internet connections more secure and reliable by reducing the use of vulnerable ciphersuites (ex. RC4) and by using the latest security standards, TLS 1.2, by default.
Find out more about security improvements in this article: Edge and Internet Explorer are immune to Download Bomb Exploit.
All intentions are good, but the facts are still showing that users complain about:
- internet explorer 11 slow to launch
- internet explorer 11 slow loading pages
- internet explorer 11 slow and not responding
- internet explorer 11 slow opening tabs
One reason might be that many web pages are not officially supporting Internet Explorer anymore. Internet Explorer 11 is hardly being maintained and merely used for Intranet websites and apps that require ActiveX controls.
Some users consider that the TLS 1.2 is actually causing IE 12 to work slow, but secured. By any means, if you enjoy IE 11 and want to make it work on your device, check out the following tips and fixes to apply now.
How to speed up your Internet Explorer
Clear IE Cache regularly
The first thing you can do is to clear Internet Explorer Cache. You can do that from browser‘s Settings following the steps below, or with some third-party cleaning tool, like Advanced System Care or CCleaner.
- Launch Internet Explorer 11
- On the right-hand side of the browser, click on the gear icon – the Tools icon
- Go to Safety and select Delete Browsing History
- Uncheck all options except the Temporary Internet files and website files
- Click the “Delete” button.
- The Delete Browsing History window will disappear and your mouse icon might go busy for a while.
Bonus Tip: Set cache size at 200-250 MB. A larger cache won’t speed up browsing. Internet Options> General tab> Browsing History> Settings> Disk space to use.
- Open Internet Explorer and select the Tools button
- Click on Manage add-ons
- From the drop-down menu choose “All add-ons”
- Select each add-on that you want to remove and click on Disable.
Scan your system for errors
Reset IE to default level
Finally, go to Internet Explorer, click Tools > Internet Options > Security > Reset all Zones to Default level.
These tweaks should help you fix your slow Internet Explorer and improve your browsing experience.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT NOW:
- How to Disable Yellow Warning Bar in Internet Explorer
- How to Enable Email Icon in Internet Explorer
- Still using Internet Explorer? Install KB4040685 to patch many browser vulnerabilities
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2014 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
UML (Unified Modeling Language) diagrams are visual representations of software systems. The diagrams are essential for software engineers who need to document software systems. There […]
Because we all love listening to our favorite music, it is very important to be able to organize our music library. This task has become […]
Computer problems are usually not that complicated to fix. The real problem is that most people are not that keen to try and fix them, […]