- Journalism reached the digital age, making journalism software the backbone of everything.
- We've created this article to feature the best software for journalists to make their job easier.
- This journalist software includes email extractors, image editors, workflow organizers, and more.
- Most of the software tools include a free version or trial, so go ahead and see if they are worth it.
In this digital age, you don’t need an exorbitantly priced program to become a top-tier journalist.
Not every person can afford such perks. But that does not mean that you should abandon multimedia journalism.
As a matter of fact, the web is crammed with affordable alternatives that fit perfectly well in a journalist’s toolkit.
Some of these tools keep the journalists up to date with every new info. And others enhance security and privacy by concealing their trails.
In this roundup, we will introduce you to the best software so can stay on top of the game as a journalist.
What is the best journalism software?
A journalist’s work is as complex as they get and photo editing takes a great deal of their time.
As the world’s most popular photo editing software, Adobe Photoshop is the natural choice for the job and it should not miss from any professional’s kit.
Its complex, yet easy-to-use toolset makes everyday edits like cutting, cropping, and corrections simple and accessible.
Speaking about accessibility, another important feature is its cross-platform functionality. This is just another way in which Adobe Photoshop makes itself useful.
Since journalists are always on the road (and they should if they are to catch a good story before anyone else), starting a project on the desktop and continuing it from the iPad comes in handy.
Let’s quickly go through its key features:
- Lens Blur and Improved Content-Aware Fill
- Object Selection Tool (to create fast and precise selections)
- Enhanced Transform Warp (to add control points anywhere or divide your image with a customizable grid)
- Improved Properties panel with convenient Quick Actions
- Modern presets (easier, more intuitive, and better organized)
Edit pics on the go and get impressive images than weigh more than a thousand words to compliment your story!
Grammarly is probably the best-known program for writing. Its browser plugin corrects grammar mistakes and bad phrasing.
It is extremely helpful when you need to recheck a text written very quickly or when you need to edit somebody’s work. It also provides you synonyms so you could diversify your texts.
This tool is the first in the list as a journalist needs, first of all, to write something from time to time and when this needs to be done in a short time – Grammarly is his best friend.
It is not so complicated to use it – Install it on your browser, restart the browser and you will have access to the best grammar-checking program available for free.
Get a taste of accurate, stylistically appropriated, and plagiarism-free writing with Grammarly!
Whenever massive amounts of data are involved, it is best to present the information in an attractive way so that it is more digestible for the audience.
Since journalists deal with a lot of information, finding the right balance between text and visuals is crucial in order to captivate the public’s attention.
And there is nothing better equipped for this task than sleek, impactful, high-resolution images.
Adobe Stock brings an impressive collection of such beautiful images that every journalist should include in his or her toolset.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Diverse libraries of high-resolution, stock assets and images
- Gorgeous, royalty-free imagery for high-impact storytelling
- Beautiful HD and 4K footage for motion projects
- Numerous pre-made, professionally-designed templates available
- Full compatibility with other Creative Suite products such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and more
- Royalty-free audio tracks and music
- Inspiring materials from world-established industry experts and interactive guidelines
With Adobe Stock you will always find the perfect image to illustrate your article.
Digitalization has laid its stamp on journalism as well and the future of this industry may depend on cybersecurity. Truth is that there is so much information that you give out when online without knowing it.
To protect your privacy, it’s advisable to use Opera. This browser is one of the most privacy-focused tools out there that even has an in-built VPN to make sure your location, IP address, and any other data that might be used to identify you are kept hidden.
As a journalist, you will need Opera to research state propaganda and to file stories with non-state controlled media without having to worry about the consequences of digging too deep.
Opera will greatly facilitate your online researches with numerous features while also keeping your identity anonymous.
Reimagine browsing and better your journalistic skills with the most powerful tool: faster, better, 100% private, and ad-free online research.
Being able to stay in touch with the people that matter is essential for a journalist. And sometimes, this implies a good amount of tracking down those important persons.
Used by 2,000,000+ professionals around the globe, Hunter is well-known for its excellent capacities and lets you find email addresses in seconds.
What’s more, it has plenty of add-ons and countless integrations on which you can rely to complete your detective-grade researches and create compelling stories.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Domain search to help you obtain the email addresses behind any website
- Powerful email-finding tool with efficient search filters and top scoring
- Email deliverability checker tool
- Extensive library of add-ons (Chrome extension, Firefox add-on, and CRM integrations)
A journalist’s work is more than producing pretty pictures or performing countless hours of research.
It’s a mixture of many apparently isolated items that come together to create a unique, informative, well-documented story that captures attention.
And this calls for a tool that can centralize all those activities and allow for the different persons involved in the story-building process to collaborate in real-time and make things happen.
Monday.com does just that, it allows you to manage everything in one workspace.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Planning, tracking, and delivering capabilities
- Fully customizable visuals and templates
- Seamless integration with popular collaboration tools
- Automate repetitive tasks and focus on important matters
- Visualization tools to better organize and convey information (views, maps, timeline, kanban, and more)
Another great tool that is vital for any journalist is a grammar checker, since nothing can affect your credibility more than bad grammar.
Writer.com presents itself as a web app that you can access via your web browser, and there are no real system requirements for using it other than an Internet connection.
Using it is quite simple, especially if you used other similar tools in the past, as all you need to do is copy and paste your draft text in the Enter your English text here bracket, then you’ll see the grammar mistakes.
One thing worth mentioning is that Writer only supports the English language as of now, but nonetheless that is a language of international use.
The program is available for free, although with some limitations, but you can always apply for a free 30-day trial to test out whether it is worth it or not.
Besides, you can also download an extension for you browser to gain access to Writer’s grammar-checking capabilities without having to visit their website every single time.
When working in journalism, before you get started with any article, you’ll need to gain access to information, and the fastest way to contact someone is via email address.
This is easier said than done, especially when someone’s work email is hard to find, or not publicly displayed at all.
That is precisely when a tool like GetEmail.io can come in handy, since it completely scans any website and finds all the email addresses displayed on it, regardless of email domain.
More so, even if the email of aa particular person is not readily available, it will generate one based on the other work email addresses that are on the site.
- Affordable price plans
- Easy access via a web browser
- Works with all email addresses, regardless of domain
- Great for getting email addresses that aren’t publicly displayed
These are some of the most powerful journalistic tools that you can use to climb the ladder of success.
So whether you are a novice en route to becoming the next CNN reporter or a fully professional journalist, you will need some of these tools to polish your work.
Do you have a favorite software for journalists that you feel deserves a place on the list? Sound off in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
A journalist’s toolkit consists of various software covering a wide range of capacities. Find them all in our thorough list containing the best software for journalists.
Adobe Sparks’s Post feature is the best suited for online journalism thanks to its ease of use when creating social graphics. Read more about it in this short article dedicated to Adobe Spark.
Thorough research implies a plethora of tools spread across different fields such as academic writing software you can find in this detailed article.