- Microsoft Word is probably one of the most-known text editors on the market.
- Unfortunately, many users reported Normal.dotm error on Mac, and in this article we’re going to show you how to fix that.
- We covered Word in the past extensively, and for more information, check our other Word articles.
- For more Mac news and guides, be sure to visit our dedicated Mac Hub.
Microsoft Word is probably one of the most used text editors, but even popular text editors can encounter issues.
Many users reported Normal.dotm error on their Mac while using Word. This error message can be rather annoying, but there’s a way to fix it, and today we’ll show you how to do it.
How do I fix Normal.dotm error on Mac?
1. Update Office
- Open Word or any other Office application.
- Select Help > Check for Updates.
- Now click Check for Updates button again.
This is the easiest way to update Microsoft Office, but you can also use any other method.
2. Delete Normal.dotm file
- Make sure that Microsoft Office is completely closed.
- Press Command + Shift + G and enter
~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/
- Locate Normal.dotm file and delete it.
If you notice any other file named Normal in the same directory, delete it. After doing that, Word should start without any problems.
Few users reported that they deleted the Normal.dotm file from the following location:
~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Templates
You can try that location if Normal.dotm isn’t available in the User Templates directory.
3. Make sure you’re not saving the document as a template
- Select File > Save as.
- Now make sure that you’re not saving the file to the Template folder.
- Also, check the file format and make sure that you’re using the doc or docx format when saving.
This is a pretty obvious solution, but some users chose Save as Template option by accident, and that caused Normal.dotm error to appear.
Fixing the Normal.dotm error message on Mac is pretty simple, and in most cases, you just need to delete the Normal.dotm file and it will be recreated automatically.
- How do I fix normal Dotm?
To fix Normal.dotm error, you just need to find the Normal.dotm file and delete it, and Word will recreate it again.
- What is normal Dotm error?
Normal.dotm error appears if the Normal template in Word is corrupted and it can prevent you from saving Word documents.
- Can I delete normal Dotm?
Yes, you can delete Normal.dotm file if it’s corrupted. Just make sure that Microsoft Office applications aren’t running while you try to do that.