How to create custom keyboard layouts in Windows 10, 8.1
Are you interested in customizing your own keyboard layouts or starting the layouts from scratch for any kinds of reason — like seting the keyboard to a language Microsoft systems don’t have support for or include a symbol of your liking just by pressing a keyboard button? Now you can find exactly how to do this by following the instructions listed below.
In the tutorial below, we will see exactly how we can set an input method, remove an input method from our keyboard layouts and use the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator to customize the keyboard on Windows Windows 10, Windows 8 to our preferences.
Set keyboard layout on Windows 10, 8
1. Add a new keyboard layout
This tutorial shows how to add or remove keyboard input from Control Panel.
- Move the mouse cursor to the right side of the screen.
- In the search box type Control Panel
- Click (left click) on “Control Panel” icon that shows after the search is completed.
- After the Control Panel window opens click (left click) on the “Language” icon.
- Double click (left click) on “Add a language” situated in the middle side of the window you opened.
- Under the “Input Method” field click (left click) on “Add an input method”.
- Double click (left click) on an input method you prefer to add or just choose an input method and click on “Add”.
- You can repeat the two steps above to add another input language if you want.
- When you are finished you just need to click (left click) on “Save” in the lower side of the window.
- After you add an input method you will just need to switch the methods from the lower right side of the screen where it says what language is your keyboard set to operate.
- RELATED: The best PC keyboards for 2018
2. Change keyboard input methods
You can also add or remove input methods using the PC settings feature in Windows 10, 8.1 as shown below:
- Open “PC Settings” by going with the mouse on the charms bar
- Click (left click) on “Settings”
- Or another way to open PC settings is by pressing and holding “Windows” and “I” buttons.
- Click (left click) on “General” situated on the left of the screen.
- Click (left click) on “Language Preferences” link situated under the “Language” section on the right side of the screen.
- From here you can follow the steps presented in the first tutorial.
3. Use Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator
Let’s see how we can download Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator and create our own keyboard layouts from scratch using this app.
- Follow the link below to download Microsoft Keyboard Layout creator
- Using the link below, you will see that this application doesn’t support Windows 10, 8 but nevertheless it will work just fine if you install it. Also, as a requirement for this app to work on your Windows 10, 8 system, you will need to install also Microsoft .NET Framework v2.0, you can find the link for this app below.
Note: This application also requires a 32-bit system, but if you got a 64-bit system it will run with no issues just that it will be in a 32-bit mode setup.
The three ways above showed you how you can customize the keyboard input in Windows 10, 8. All you have to do now is go and try it for yourself. Please write us below for any new ideas on how to customize your keyboard.
Speaking of keyboards, there are various technical issues that you may encounter after connecting your keyboard to your computer or after enabling certain settings. If you’re experiencing any keyboard issues after creating a custom keyboard layout, here are some troubleshooting guides to help you fix them:
- How to fix Bluetooth keyboard lag in Windows 10
- Fix typing lag or slow keyboard response in Windows 10
- Fix: Laptop keyboard not working on Windows 10
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2014 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Here is an interesting situation. Microsoft releases update KB4023057 (again), still doesn’t explain what it is for, and expects everyone to be happy. Result? Well, […]
The symbiosis of the internet and advertising has long been understood. Everyone understands that if you have access to something that is ‘free’, inasmuch as […]