- The new Microsoft Edge 99 is available in the Dev channel with build version 99.0.1131.3.
- New exciting features, fixes, and improvements are making their way into the browser.
- One of the most important additions is that you can manually set which profile certain websites open.
It seems that the Microsoft Edge team is coming back in full force in 2022 with a new Edge build that is available now in the Dev channel.
In the build that was released as version 99.0.1131.3, Edge is featuring some important changes and Microsoft also announced that Edge 98 will be soon moved into the Beta channel.
Not long ago, the browser received a new important feature to organize and track your favorite web pages but the developments really got on the fast track with the new version.
Long story short, let’s go through with all the added features, improvements, and bug fixes for the latest build.
What are the new features of Microsoft Edge 99?
By far, the most important addition is the possibility to manually set which profile certain websites open. To access the new feature, you just need to paste the following line in the address bar:
Another important addition is the ability to edit saved passwords from the initial dialog to save them.
Microsoft also added an option to the right-click menu in order to open links in the Application Guard windows, of course, only where the Application Guard is present.
We’re listing the other added features as presented by Microsoft in the release manifest:
- Added info to the Edge Bar settings page informing users which extensions they have installed that are preventing the use of the Edge Bar.
- Management policies (note that updates to documentation and administrative templates may not have happened yet):
- Added a management policy to control if Address Bar Editing is Enabled.
- Added support on mobile for disabling autofill via management policy.
- Added support for custom formats on the clipboard (Chromium Issue 106449).
- Added support for the WebView2 API BasicAuthenticationRequested, which was previously in the experimental state (Issue 120).
- Added support for the dual screen web developer APIs CSS Foldables and Viewport Segments that were previously in the Experimental stage.
What are the bug fixes in Microsoft Edge 99?
The new build version 99.0.1131.3 also addresses a lot of bugs that were certainly frustrating for a lot of insiders.
It seems that the dev team fixed a lot of crashes when navigating to certain websites, when interacting with the address bar and its dropdown, and when you choose where you want to save a downloaded file.
They also covered a bug that appeared when you were sending feedback from InPrivate or Guest windows and when showing autofill popups.
Here’s the list of other reliability improvements as they were presented in the release note:
- Fixed a crash when interacting with misspelled words that have been identified by the spellchecker.
- Fixed a crash when using Web Select (formerly Smart Copy).
- Fixed a crash when installing a website as an app.
- Fixed a crash when importing data from another browser.
- Fixed an issue where certain webpages crash after a few seconds.
- Fixed an issue where tabs sometimes crash when certain accessibility features are enabled.
- Fixed a crash when interacting with downloads.
- Fixed a crash when viewing the new tab page.
- Fixed a crash when viewing weather from the new tab page.
- Fixed a crash when using Shopping.
- Fixed a crash when using Read Aloud on a different tab than the currently visible one.
- Fixed a hang on iOS.
- Fixed a crash in WebView2 apps (Issue 1882).
Other improvements in Microsoft Edge 99
In the new version, the development team managed to reduce the amount of blank unloaded pages when scrolling through PDFs.
Microsoft also claims that they improved the malicious URL blocking feature and the performance of the startup page by pre-rendering it when possible.
For more information, you can see the whole list in the Microsoft Edge 99 release note from Microsoft.
And while we’re all excited by the new developments, you can also check out how the new Game panel in Edge will help you spend some quality relaxing time in the browser.
What do you think about Microsoft Edge 99? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.