Review of Minesweeper for Windows 10/11
Minesweeper is one of the most popular puzzle games ever
- Minesweeper is one of the most popular puzzle games ever created.
- The game has evolved through the years and has new themes and play modes to enjoy.
This is probably one of the oldest games made for Microsoft, and even now, it retains a stable and constant number of users. The first versions of Minesweeper appeared in the ’70s when the first games were made.
Minesweeper has been among the star games in the Top Free Microsoft Store for quite a while. If you’ve been playing Minesweeper from the first Microsoft version, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by it in Windows 10.
Update: Minesweeper for Windows 10
Microsoft diversified Minesweeper by applying it to Microsoft Treasure Hunt (a Windows 10 game) . You can find the basics of Minesweeper in it, but you also have a story mode that might entertain the old-school players even more than the original. In the game, you will have the possibility to:
- Play wherever you want (the game progress is saved in the cloud)
- Connect with your Xbox device
- Compete with other players for in-game high ranks
- Purchase upgrades and supplies
- Continue your game from all your devices
Microsoft found a way to bring Minesweeper to a whole new level. Let’s hope they will do the same with their other games.
Microsoft Minesweeper for Windows 10 review
Quite soon, there will be a lot of games in the Microsoft Store, but currently, there are only a few. So, until more appealing games will be there, ones that could make even the iPad tremble, we’ll have to make do with such games as Microsoft Minesweeper.
But there’s quite a large number of people that prefer casual games to more advanced ones, so you’ll be surprised to see this one surviving despite bigger, more challenging games.
Since using apps in Windows 10 I realized that many of them get low ratings because they are still in their first versions. Well, not with Microsoft Minesweeper.
Who knows, maybe because it’s made by Microsoft or simply because it’s such a brilliantly simple game, but it currently has 4.2 out of 5 ratings. Everything is shiny and seems to fill up the entire space efficiently, unlike some other apps, like Evernote, which fail to do it.
Microsoft Minesweeper Windows 10 features
The games are free. Microsoft Minesweeper for Windows 10 is a classic puzzle game that has passed the test of time and has been updated for Windows 10. And the game isn’t at the first version, as the team has already managed to make an update on October 25.
Though it’s currently unavailable for ARM devices (those that run Windows RT), the team at Microsoft Studios has promised to fix that as soon as possible. Here’s what you can do inside:
- Play 2 different modes: you can choose to play the old, classic Minesweeper style or the Adventure mode. One of the reasons why Microsoft Minesweeper for Windows 10 got such a good rating was the addition of Adventure mode. You must “travel” to the core of the Earth alongside your hero, collecting goodies while on the go. A modern approach to a veteran game is the right solution to make it a successful Windows 8 casual gaming application.
- Daily challenges: to make sure that users are “hooked up” and stay connected with the game, as simple as it might not seem, Microsoft has created some daily challenges where you can compete against your friends, thus receiving badges. A good ego boosts loyal fans.
- Xbox integration: using Xbox, you can do the same things as with the daily challenges feature, meaning you can compete against your friends, but you can also see your statistics and submit scores to the leaderboards to see who the king of the hill is in this game.
- Different difficulty levels: the beauty of Microsoft Minesweeper for Windows 10 is that it gets more and more challenging for you to solve it. So, if you’re a brainiac, then you should be able to work your way up until the hardest level. I’ll confess that I am not a big fan of the game, especially because I’m not patient enough.
There’s not too much what else to say about Microsoft Minesweeper for Windows 10 as the actions that you can perform there are fairly limited, as it is a very basic game.
Suffice it to say that the touch experience is pretty awesome and makes it an even more personal game than it previously was. The biggest addition, the Adventure mode, will surely get some love from math-loving kids, as they will definitely love to explore as they make those tedious calculations in their minds.
One of the game’s drawbacks was that you have to watch an ad first before actually playing, so it was ad-supported. But not anymore.
But some users report a slow start-up and often reboots. It didn’t happen during my review of Microsft Minesweeper, however. Here’s what else users have reported as positive changes:
MSFT has done a great job revamping this classic. The changes I particularly like in this release are the new statistics and daily challenges. Some of the new game types such as “Flags” are excellent for gaining more of an intuition of the game. I’m not particularly fond of the “adventure” mode, but I imagine it caters to a younger audience. The weak link in this app by far, are the ads before the daily challenge; they can be quite intrusive. Luckily, these ads not played before most game types.
Have a look at the video below to see Minesweeper for Windows 10 in action:
Update: Great news for Minesweeper lovers. The version of Windows RT has been officially launched. So, get your Surface RT or other tablets for RT and start playing this old but always awesome game!
[Microsoft Minesweeper for Windows 10]