How to fix Microsoft Store payment issues
Whatever app store you’re using, sooner or later, it’ll have some issues that you may not be able to resolve immediately, like users who have raised concerns over Microsoft Store payment problems.
As much as you may not know what to do when such an issue arises, there are general fixes you can use listed below to troubleshoot and resolve the matter, and get your payment process back up and running.
If you’re experiencing Microsoft Store payment issues, try some of these solutions before contacting support.
FIX: Microsoft Store payment issues
- Update payment options
- Manage your money in your Microsoft account
- Resolve error messages
- Bank won’t authorize purchase
1. Update payment options
You can update and/or add a new payment method whenever you make a purchase, or manage all payment options by logging in to the Microsoft payments site with your Microsoft account.
In order to add a payment method, do the following:
- Sign in to Payment options with your Microsoft account.
- Select Add payment option.
- Fill in the required fields, then select Next, and you’re done.
If using Xbox One console to add a payment method, do this:
- Sign in to the Microsoft account associated with the payment option you want to add.
- Press the Xboxbutton to open the guide
- Select Settings.
- Under Account, select Payment & billing.
- Under Payment options, select Add a payment option.
- Choose a payment option and follow the instructions
To update the payment method, do this:
- Sign in to your Payment options with your Microsoft account.
- Pick a payment method, then select Edit info.
- Type your updated info. Payment options used to pay for a subscription can be edited, but can’t be removed until you change how you pay for the subscription. Go to Card info for subscriptions or other services associated with the payment option
- When you’ve made your changes, select Next.
To update from your Xbox One console, do this:
- Sign in to the Microsoft account associated with the payment option to update.
- Press the Xboxbutton on your controller to open the guide
- Select Settings.
- Under Account, select Payment & billing.
- Under Payment options, scroll right to the payment option you want to update
- Select Edit info.
- Update payment option details, then select Save.
Note: The country linked to your way to pay must match the country linked to your Microsoft account.
— RELATED: Fix: Battle.net Payment Autorization error
If you cannot update or add a payment option, check for the following:
- Follow any instructions you get from the error message
- Retype your credit card number without spaces, commas, or other characters that aren’t numericals
- Check that the billing address, expiration date, and name for your payment option are correct.
- Check that the new payment option is activated
- Ensure you have enough money in your account to pay for your purchase.
- Ensure the payment option is authorized for online billing or recurring billing.
- Check with your bank as to why authorizations are failing.
- Try adding or switching to a different payment option (as described in the steps above)
2. Manage your money in your Microsoft account
You can do this in three ways – buy apps with the money, add money to your account, or redeem a gift card or code in your account.
How to add money to your Microsoft account
- Go to the gift cards page in Microsoft Store and buy a gift card in the amount you want to add
- Enter your name and email address as the recipient
- Complete your purchase
- Confirm that you’ve received an email with the gift code.
- Go to the Redeem page on Microsoft
- Confirm you’re signed in to the right account
- Enter the code and select Redeem. The entire amount on the code will be added to your Microsoft account.
How to redeem a gift card or code
The easiest way to do this is through the Microsoft redeem page, where you enter the 25 character code, select Next and follow the on-screen instructions. To do this, you can either use your PC or Xbox console.
To redeem in Windows 10, do this:
- Open Microsoft Store.
- Select the See more menu(next to search).
- Select Redeem a code and sign in if needed.
- Enter your code and select Redeem.
- If the card or code has money on it, the entire balance will be applied to your Microsoft account. You can use it to buy things from Microsoft Store online, on Windows 10, and on Xbox One. If the card or code is for a specific app or game, it’ll be added to your personal library, where you can download and install it from My Libraryin Microsoft Store. Once redeemed, you’ll be diverted to the product page where you can also download and install. If it is for a subscription, you’ll find it in your Services & subscriptions.
To redeem from your Xbox console, do this:
- Ensure the console is connected to the Internet
- Sign in to your Microsoft account
- Say ‘Xbox use a code’ and follow the instructions to redeem the gift card code
- If the card or code is for a specific app or game, it will be added to your personal library, where you can download and install it by pressing the Xbox button on your controller and then select My games and apps > Ready to install. Select the app or game, then select Install.
- If the card or code is for a subscription, you can find it in System> Settings > Account > Subscriptions.
For Xbox 360, connect to the internet and sign in, then press the Guide button>Games and apps>Redeem code. Enter the code and select Done.
Note: In case you are not able to redeem a card or code, it could be due to the following reasons:
- The code was already redeemed
- You have a pending balance on a subscription
- The code is for a pre-paid subscription
- The code came from another online store like Amazon.com, Best Buy, or EA, so get in touch with them directly to redeem the code.
- Gift cards can be redeemed to personal Microsoft accounts, not business or corporate accounts
3. Resolve error messages
- Write down the Error ID and search the web for info on the ID.
- Take a screenshot. Hold down the Windows key and press PrtSc until the screen dims for a second. You’ll find the screenshot in This PC > Pictures > Screenshots.
- Contact Microsoft and give the Error ID or exact language of the message to get help for the problem
4. Bank won’t authorize purchase
Sometimes, Microsoft Store payment issues may be due to bank authorization challenges. If you’re using a new account, ensure it is activated and authorized for online or recurring billing.
Also, ensure that the card details appear exactly as they do on the card and on your credit card statement, and if you made several purchases, wait for a day or two before trying again.
If you find the ‘Declined’ message recurring, check with your bank. They can advise if your card is approved or not for online, international or recurring transactions.
Let us know if you have any other Microsoft Store payment issues or you were able to get it resolved from using any of these solutions by leaving a comment in the section below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Download and install Microsoft Money on Windows 10
- Fix Microsoft Money Problems in Windows 10
- 5 best home finance software for PC to keep your budget in check
A major reason why your projector may not be turning off can be due to configuration corruption. It can also happen due to hardware failure […]
Backgroundtransferhost.exe is a service process that syncs Windows settings across devices that share the same Windows account. The service can download and upload quite a […]
Java is an object-orientated programming language that programmers develop Java software with. To develop Java software, programmers need to install a JDK (Java Development Kit) […]