FIX: Oblivion crashes on startup or when launching a new game
- Are you experiencing Oblivion crash on startup when you try to run it? Don’t worry, there are fixes for that.
- To fix this issue, remove or update any incompatible software that might interfere with the game.
- Corrupted game cache can cause this issue as well, so you might want to remove it.
- If Oblivion crashes on a new game, be sure that you have the necessary codecs installed.
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was a popular RPG, but many users reported that they experienced Oblivion crash on startup.
This issue will prevent you from playing the game, but fortunately, there’s a way to fix this problem once and for all using our solutions.
How do I fix Oblivion crashing on startup?
1. Delete the game folder from My Games
- Click on My Computer.
- Select and click on Documents.
- Click on My Games.
- Open the folder named Oblivion.
- Skip the Save folder.
- Select everything else.
- Right-click and choose the Delete option.
- Restart the game.
When you delete the Oblivion folder, this overwrites and resets any possible wrong configurations you have previously made or the improper ones after the game was installed.
Although simple, this solution will help you prevent Oblivion crashes on startup.
2. Uninstall problematic software
- Log into your admin account.
- Open the Settings app and go to the Apps section.
- Identify and select Cyberlink Power DVD 5.
- Click the Uninstall button to remove it.
Even though it is a reliable application available for users in different formats, Cyberlink Power DVD 5 can cause Oblivion to crash on startup.
If you want to continue using this software, you can just update it to the latest version from the link below.
Cyberlink Power DVD
Cyberlink Power DVD is an advanced multimedia player that can easily any file type or disc.
3. Install K Lite Codec Pack
- Visit our best codec packs for Windows 10 article.
- Go to the K-Lite codec packs section.
- From there, download the K-Lite codec pack.
- Choose the Basic version.
- Click on Download Basic.
- Now run the downloaded file to install the codecs.
Installing a good quality pack on your computer is a necessary strategy that prevents Oblivion crash on startup.
After using this solution, restart your computer to apply these changes and run Elder Scrolls: Oblivion to check if the issue has disappeared.
Just like many other popular RPG games from the past, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion will sometimes encounter issues when played on Windows 10.
Unpleasant as it may be, the Oblivion crash on startup is not something that can’t be solved.
If you found our solutions helpful, do let us know in the comments section below.