How to fix ‘Office 365 0x8004FC12 error’ in Windows 10
The MS Office 365 0x8004FC12 error occurs when Windows users attempt to activate Office 365, 2013 or 2016. The 0x8004FC12 error has the following error message: “We’re sorry, something went wrong and we can’t do this for you right now. Please try again later. (0x8004FC12).” Some Windows 10 users have reported getting that error, which blocks them from activating MS Office, after recently upgrading to the platform. This is how you can fix the Office 365 0x8004FC12 error in Windows 10.
Add a Net Local Group
- Adding a Net Local Group is one of the more effective fixes for the 0x8004FC12 error. To do that, press the Win key + X hotkey and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu to open the Command Prompt.
- First, enter ‘net localgroup Administrators localservice /add’ in the Command Prompt; and press the Return key.
- Input (or copy and paste) ‘fsutil resource setautoreset true C:’ in the Command Prompt window, and press the Enter key.
- Finally, enter the ‘netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt’ command in the Prompt window.
- Close the Command Prompt and reboot Windows before activating MS Office again.
Update Windows 10
If you’ve recently upgraded to Windows 10, there might be some updates for it. Updating the platform might also fix the 0x8004FC12 error. You can check for updates in Win 10 with the Settings app.
- First, click the Cortana taskbar button and enter ‘updates’ in the search box.
- Select Check for updates to open Windows Update settings.
- Now you can press a Check for updates button for further update details.
- An Install now button appears if there are updates. So press that button to update Windows.
Switch the Windows Firewall off
The Windows Firewall might be hindering the MS Office activation if it’s on. So temporarily switching that firewall off might do the trick. You can switch the firewall off via the Control Panel as follows.
- Enter ‘Windows Firewall’ in the Cortana search box. Then you can select Windows Firewall to open the Control Panel tab in the shot directly below.
- Click Turn Windows Firewall on or off on the left of the tab.
- Select the Turn off Windows Firewall options there.
- Now have a go at activating MS Office again. Thereafter, you can switch the Windows Firewall back on.
Repair the MS Office Suite
MS Office also includes its own troubleshooter that can help you resolve errors pertaining to its applications. So that might provide a fix for the 0x8004FC12 activation error. You can open the suite’s repair tool from the Programs and Features tab as follows.
- You can open Programs and Features by right-clicking the Start button. That opens a menu from which you can select Programs and Features to open the Control Panel tab directly below.
- Now you can right-click the MS Office suite and select Change from its context menu. That will open the Office diagnostic tool shown directly below.
- Select the Quick Repair option on that window. Alternatively, you could select the Online Repair option that reinstalls the suite.
- Press the Repair button and follow the diagnostic wizard instructions.
Reset the TCP/IP in Command Prompt
Resetting the TCP/IP can fix connection issues. The Office 365 0x8004FC12 error could be connected with those protocols. You can reset the TCP/IP by selecting Command Prompt (Admin) on the Win X menu. Then enter the ‘netsh int ip reset resettcpip.txt’ command in the Prompt window, and press the Return key. Restart Windows after resetting the TCP/P.
Adjust the Automatically Detect Settings Option
- Deselecting the Automatically detect settings option can also fix the 0x8004FC12 error. To adjust that setting, enter ‘Internet Options’ in the Cortana search box.
- Select Internet Options to open the window directly below.
- Click the Connections tab on that window. Then press the LAN settings button there to open the window in the snapshot below.
- Deselect the Automatically detect settings option if it’s selected there.
- Press the OK button to close the window.
Those are some of the best fixes for the 0x8004FC12 error. One of those fixes will probably resolve the issue, but you can still contact MS Office support from this page. There’s also a Recovery Assistant for Office 365 tool that might fix the issue, and this Windows Report article provides further details for that tool.
The PDF format is one of the most popular file formats in the world. That’s why it is absolutely essential to have an excellent PDF […]
Even if you live in one of the most developed countries in the world, where everything seems to work perfectly, computer privacy is often under […]
The thought of producing EDM (electronic dance music) may have crossed your mind several times especially if you are a content creator, budding music artist […]