- The ASPX file format is used by Microsoft’s ASP.NET server-side web application framework.
- In this article, we explore how to open and edit the ASPX files in Windows and Mac.
- Do check out our dedicated How-To hub for more how-to guides.
- Also, explore our Software section to open other files with uncommon extensions.
Active Server Page Extended (ASPX) is a file extension designed for the Microsoft ASP.NET framework.
The ASPX files are usually generated by the web browser and contain scripts and codes. Your web browser uses the codes and scripts to decide how to show the web page.
If you did not intend to download the ASPX file, it is most likely that you don’t know what program to use to open the file.
In this article, we take a look at a few tools that can help you open and view the ASPX file with ease.
How do I open a .aspx file in Windows 10 and Mac?
If you want to work with the downloaded ASPX file, you can make use of free IDE’s like Microsoft Visual Studio. Using the tool, you can open and edit ASPX files on your Windows and Mac systems.
Visual Studio is a fully-featured IDE offering the entire toolset from initial design to final deployment. For improved accuracy and productivity, it comes with the IntelliSense code suggestion feature.
- Download the Microsoft Visual Studio from the button below.
- Run the installer to install the program.
- Next, launch the IDE and open the ASPX to edit.
Visual Studio 2019
Ensure you'll always be able to open ASPX files with ease and edit them, by using this great software.
Adobe Dreamweaver is a popular web development platform, and like other Adobe products, this is a paid software. However, if you already have it installed, you can use it to open the ASPX files.
You can create, code, and manage dynamic websites with a smart, simplified code engine. The code hint allows you to quickly learn and edit HTML, CSS, and other web standards.
Never worry again about opening ASPX files with this incredibly powerful and yet easy to use website creator!
For simple modifications, you are better off using the Notepad++ app. Notepad++ comes with advanced features and supports CGI format.
Notepad++ is based on the powerful editing component Scintilla and is written in C++, ensuring a higher execution speed and small program size.
- You can download the Notepad++ for your Windows computer from here.
- Run the installer to install the code editor.
- Once done, launch Notepad++, click on File, select Open and open the ASPX file to edit.
Change the file extension
If you intended to download a PDF or image file, but the website delivered an ASPX file, try renaming the file. If you were expecting a PDF, then rename the file as file.pdf or file.png in case of an image.
This issue usually occurs when the website doesn’t properly name the generated file, and you end up with a server-side file.
If the issue persists, try to access the same website with a different browser to see if it is a browser-specific issue.
The ASPX files are used by Microsoft’s ASP.Net server-side web application framework. If you come across a file with an ASPX extension, you can use the tools listed in the article above to open and edit the files.