- The ASPX file format is used by Microsoft’s ASP.NET server-side web application framework.
- In this article, we explore how to open and edit the ASPX files in Windows and Mac.
- You can use paid third-party tools or free ones such as Notepad +++.
Active Server Page Extended (ASPX) is a file extension designed for the Microsoft ASP.NET framework.
The ASPX files are usually generated by the web browser and contain scripts and codes. Your web browser uses the codes and scripts to decide how to show the web page.
If you did not intend to download the ASPX file, it is most likely that you don’t know what program to use to open the file.
In this article, we take a look at a few tools that can help you open and view the ASPX file with ease.
How can I open a .aspx file?
1. Change the file extension
If you intended to download a PDF or image file, but the website delivered an ASPX file, try renaming the file. If you were expecting a PDF, then rename the file as file.pdf or file.png in case of an image.
This issue usually occurs when the website doesn’t properly name the generated file, and you end up with a server-side file.
If the issue persists, try to access the same website with a different browser to see if it is a browser-specific issue.
2. Open .aspx files with a third-party program
2.1 Use Adobe Dreamweaver
Adobe Dreamweaver is a popular web development platform, and like other Adobe products, this is paid software. However, if you already have it installed, you can use it to open the ASPX files.
You can create, code, and manage dynamic websites with a smart, simplified code engine. The code hint allows you to quickly learn and edit HTML, CSS, and other web standards.
Never worry again about opening ASPX files with this incredibly powerful and yet easy-to-use website creator for both Windows and Mac!
2.2 Use Visual Studio
If you want to work with the downloaded ASPX file, you can make use of free IDEs like Microsoft Visual Studio. Using the tool, you can open and edit ASPX files on your Windows and Mac systems.
Visual Studio is a fully-featured IDE offering the entire toolset from initial design to final deployment. For improved accuracy and productivity, it comes with the IntelliSense code suggestion feature.
- Download the Microsoft Visual Studio (Windows/Mac)
- Run the installer to install the program.
- Next, launch the IDE and open the ASPX to edit.
2.3 Open ASPX file using Notepad++
For simple modifications to .aspx files, you are better off using the Notepad++ app. It comes with advanced features and supports CGI format.
Notepad++ is based on the powerful editing component Scintilla and is written in C++, ensuring a higher execution speed and small program size.
1. Navigate to the Notepad +++ official website.
2. Download the latest app version from the list.
3. Run the installer to install the code editor.
4. Launch Notepad +++.
5. Click on File.
6. Select Open and browse your PC for the .aspx file.
7. Edit the .aspx file however you like.
The ASPX files are used by Microsoft’s ASP.Net server-side web application framework. If you come across a file with an ASPX extension, you can use the tools listed in the article above to open and edit the files.
We hope you learned everything you wanted to know about .aspx files on your devices. Let us know in the comments section below if you encountered any difficulties opening or editing them using our recommended software.