Python is an interpreted programming language that some programmers develop software with. PY is the file format for Python scripts.
PY scripts can also have alternative file extensions, which include PYC, PYD and PWC. The scripts are text files, but you’ll need a Python interpreter to run a PY script in Windows.
How can I open PY files on my Windows 10 PC?
Opening Python Scripts
That includes syntax highlighting and folding, macro-recording options, document tabs, a customizable GUI and you can also expand the software with scripting plug-ins.
You can check that specification by right-clicking the Win 10 Start button and selecting System to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
Click either Notepad++ Installer 32-bit x86 (32-bit) or Notepad++ Installer 64-bit x64 (64-bit). That will download either the 32 or 64-bit setup wizard with which you can install the software. Then you can open a script in Notepad++ by clicking File > Open.
There are also various Python editors that you can open scripts with. Those are otherwise IDE editors designed for Python scripting.
PyScripter, PyDev and PyCharm are three open-source IDE software you can open your PY files with. IDEs are probably better software for Python coding than Notepad++ as they also include debug tools and integrated interpreters.
Download this tool we highly recommend
You can open PY and many other source code files with FilleViewer Plus. This is a universal file viewer for Windows that can open and display over 300 different file types, view and edit source code files.
You can download free a fully-functional trial from the official website or buy it at an affordable price.
Running Python Scripts
Text editors are fine for editing files, but you’ll need a Python interpreter to open and run the PY scripts. Some interpreters come bundled with IDE Python software.
However, CPython, otherwise the reference implementation, is the default interpreter for the programming language. This is how you can open PY scripts with that interpreter:
- Open this page to download a CPython interpreter. Press the Download Python 3.6.2 button to save one of the more update interpreters to Windows.
- Open the Win + X menu by pressing the Win key + X hotkey.
- Select Command Prompt (Admin) to open the CP’s window.
- Open the folder that includes your Python script in the Command Prompt by entering ‘Cd’ followed by the path of the file.
- Next, enter the full path of the CPython interpreter followed by the full location of the PY file in the Command Prompt, which must include the Python interpreter exe and PY file title. For example, you might enter something like this:
- Include a space between the interpreter and file paths. Press Enter to open and run the PY script.
So, you can edit and run PY files with text editors, IDE software and Python interpreters.
If you have any other suggestions or questions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- How to Open ex_file Files in Windows 10
- How to fix MSC files that are not opening
- Open any RAR file instantly with the RAR Opener free app