- Are you looking for a quick way to open PY files on a Windows 10 PC? We compiled a list of tips precisely with this goal in mind.
- One useful trick involves using a Python interpreter to open PY scripts, as described below.
- You can easily edit a PY script in Notepad or use one of these great Notepad alternatives.
- It doesn’t matter that you’re not a pro. Our File Opener Hub can help you run countless file types.
Python is an interpreted programming language that some programmers develop software with. PY is the file format for Python scripts.
PY scripts can also have alternative file extensions, which include PYC, PYD, and PWC. The scripts are text files, but you’ll need a Python interpreter to run a PY script in Windows.
How can I open PY files on my Windows 10 PC?
1. Open Python Scripts with File Viewer Plus
You can open PY and many other source code files with File Viewer Plus. This is a universal file viewer for Windows that can open and display over 300 different file types, view, and edit source code files.
On top of that, you’re about to download a reliable editor and converter tool as well. Long story short, that’s also your chance to modify photos using the advanced image editor and convert your latest audio and video formats into different multimedia file types.
Is your budget limited? Then, the limited-time offer that includes a 30-day money-back guarantee will most likely sound like music to your ears.
File Viewer Plus
File Viewer Plus is the best tool to quickly open PY files on your Windows 10 computer. Ready to give it a try?
2. Open Python Scripts with Notepad++
- Start by right-clicking the Start button and selecting System to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Click either Notepad++ Installer 32-bit x86 (32-bit) or Notepad++ Installer 64-bit x64 (64-bit). That will download either the 32 or 64-bit setup wizard with which you can install the software.
- Then you can open a script in Notepad++ by clicking File > Open.
Programmers can edit Python scripts with numerous software. In fact, you can edit a PY script in Notepad. However, Notepad++ is a better third-party text editor that also supports the PY file format.
That includes syntax highlighting and folding, macro-recording options, document tabs, a customizable GUI and you can also expand the software with scripting plug-ins.
You can add Notepad++ to most Windows platforms. Note that this software has 32 and 64-bit versions. The 64-bit versions don’t work on 32-bit systems.
There are also various Python editors that you can open scripts with. Those are otherwise IDE editors designed for Python scripting.
PyScripter, PyDev, and PyCharm are three open-source IDE software you can open your PY files with.
IDEs are probably better software for Python coding than Notepad++ as they also include debug tools and integrated interpreters.
3. Easily run Python Scripts
- Download a CPython interpreter. Press the Download Python 3.6.2 button to save one of the more updated interpreters to Windows.
- Open the Win + X menu by pressing the Win key + X hotkey.
- Select Command Prompt (Admin) to open the CP’s window.
- Open the folder that includes your Python script in the Command Prompt by entering ‘Cd’ followed by the path of the file.
- Next, enter the full path of the CPython interpreter followed by the full location of the PY file in the Command Prompt, which must include the Python interpreter exe and PY file title. For example, you might enter something like this: C:Python27python.exe C:User FolderPY Files SubfolderPy file title.PY
- Press Enter to open and run the PY script.
Text editors are fine for editing files, but you’ll need a Python interpreter to open and run the PY scripts. Some interpreters come bundled with IDE Python software.
However, CPython, otherwise the reference implementation, is the default interpreter for the programming language. Use the above steps to open PY scripts with that interpreter.
So, you can edit and run PY files with text editors, IDE software, and Python interpreters.
If you have any other suggestions or questions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below.