RAR is a proprietary archive file format created by Eugene Roshal in 1995. He was a Russian software engineer who designed it with the idea of storing information – in compressed or normal form – in mind.
The filename extensions used by RAR are the following ones: .rar for the data volume set, as well as .rev for the recovery volume set. Moreover, the minimum size of a RAR file is 20 bytes.
At the moment, there are quite a few software applications available for Windows, Linux, Mac OS, FreeBSD, Android, and not only, for the extraction of RAR files.
Quick RAR tips to apply with ease
- How to create and extract RAR files in Windows 10
- How to extract password protected RAR file without password
- Archive is either in unknown format or damaged [RAR, WinRAR]
- How to open RAR files without WinRAR [Full Guide]
- How to extract multiple RAR files [Complete Guide]
To discover reliable options to organize your files, take a closer look at our Software Tools & Utilities section.