- Video analysis uses motion recording in order to improve the techniques the players use, identify problems related to movement, and more.
- Video coaches are usually key components of athletes and their teams.
- Check out more Analysis Software solutions on our website for more similar products.
- If you're looking for the best software in any given field, check out our dedicated Software section.
Rugby is played with an oval ball by two teams of 15 players (in Rugby Union play) or 13 players (in Rugby League play).
Both versions have their origins in the style of football player at Rugby School in England.
The basis of the game was well established by the early 1900’s, about the same time that the foundation was laid for baseball. Since then, the game has constantly evolved.
With the development of video cameras, the game has become an incredibly strategic sport thanks to video analysis software.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but when it comes to video, the information obtained by coaches and scouts is worth considerably more.
Video analysis uses motion recording in order to improve the techniques the players use, identify problems related to movement, and more.
Behind every successful athlete, there is whole team of professionals that make sure he/she always performs at top peak performance.
The data gathered through video analysis allow physiotherapists and rugby coaches to polish the skills of their athletes.
In this article, we will explore some of the Rugby analysis software for rugby matches analysis.
Which are the best 6 rugby analysis software?
Another Rugby analysis software that offers a wide array of features no matter your level, budget, and sport.
NacSport Analysis offers a wide range of versions:
- Basic suitable for ‘rookies’ in video analysis:
- Basic customized analysis
- Powerful video player
- Add extra info to your clips
- Basic + for in-depth analyses:
- Advanced customized analysis
- Easy access to detailed info
- Dashboard and reports capabilities
- Scout + for high-end features with the capability to use 5 different videos in your presentation:
- Customized limitless analysis
- Big volumes of detailed data
- Analyze without video source
- Add extra info to your clips
- Two video angles at a time
- Pro + for high-end processes for professional analysts aimed at elite teams:
- Panel Flows for templates (maximum 3)
- Big volumes of detailed data – an unlimited number of videos
- Dynamic matrix-based insights or submatrix with the capability to export to Excel
- Analyzing without a video source
- Adding extra info to your clips – text notes, ratings, draw, compare actions
- Two video angles at a time
- Dashboard and reports that can be shared with charts and labels in real-time
- Powerful search tools
- Elite offers all the features of Pro+ and some extras:
- First-class video analysis
- Unlimited video analysis options
- Immediate feedback
- Registration tools that allow you to compile a high amount of data
- Richer perspective for your clips
- Up to 4 angles at a time
- Live stats and reports
- Stream videos and data
- Wirelessly share video and data
The software has multiple price plans but we have found a downloadable trial version for our readers and you can get it from the link below.
NacSport Analysis Pro
Nothing beats using a dedicated tool for any given job, and when it comes to sports analysis, NacSport Analysis Pro is the very best.
Opta is the global leader in rugby performance data and statistics, covering all major rugby competitions.
SuperScout allows you to search, view and create your own time-stamped video footage by collecting data about the ball event in each game, and assisting each action with a corresponding X, Y pitch co-ordinate.
The tool can import video and XML feeds to other analysis platforms with data from other sources like GPS. SuperScout has the ability to also recover 2D graphics data from the review video.
Opta has collated the most comprehensive database of player performance data across the major global rugby competitions for domestic and international level from : Aviva Premiership, Super 15, Top 14, Rabo Direct Pro 12, Heineken Cup, Amlin Challenge Cup, LV Cup, ITM Cup, RBS 6 Nations, IRB Rugby World Cup, Autumn Internationals, Summer Tours and selected age grade and Women’s International fixtures, Stobart Super League and NRL.
Multiple SuperScout licences are available that include some powerful features:
- Summary match stats
- Detailed home and away team reports
- Season to date team
- Player comparison reports
- Tournament and referee reports
- Video and SuperScout XML data
- Player analysis and reports dating back to 2005
- Performance data
- Timestamp events
- Plot kicking data on a 2D graphic
- Video review
⇒ Get Opta
StatsPro offers a quality service regarding data gathering from any rugby match. You can also send the videos to them and have them analyzed or do it yourself by buying an annual licence to use this software.
You can use software for free if you want them to code the games for you.
StatsPro key features:
- KPI Dashboard – one page overview of game data, ruckspeed, return to play time, etc.
- Player match report and Player Matrix – feedback for your players with pass, kicks and tackles ratings
- Line-out Analysis – feedback for lineout formations
- Video Feedback – export selected clips, individual video clips of players
Rugby Assitant is a free software that allows you to redistribute/modify it under the terms of the GNU (General Public License).
Rugby Assistant key features:
- Future match analysis – discover recursive patterns in opponents
- Matches made analysis – player stats and self-assessment
- Medical stuff -take control of injuries and players availability
- Ability to check the most involved playes with stats.
Because video analysis is the first and most important step in improving your Rugby’s team performance, Avenir Sports offers a very powerful and easy to use software to fit any analysis situation, packed into a software called SportsCode.
With Sportscode, you can analyse rugby matches from 2 or more angles to give you a more informed insight into your team’s performance. You can analyze aspects of movement of players, running lines both on and off the ball, and more.
It is worth mentioning that 6000 Elite Sporting Organisations around the world currently use SportsCode.
Sportscode key features:
- Easy to use coding/tagging templates
- You can upload footage from anywhere – Digital video camera, TV, DVD, etc.
- Multiple angle analysis using stacking feature
- No limitations on how many code buttons can be included
- HD footage support
- Can generate a spreadsheet-style analysis report
- Data link to video for qualitative analysis
- Real time sharing for coded data and reports
- Timeline feature that allows you to combine many games together in order to see patterns
- Ability to play back video in slow motion, frame by frame, etc.
- Drawing tools to highlight different aspects of play
- Annotation feature with specific times chose by you
- Capture video live
- Review features without stopping the recording
- Key-moments easy flagging
- Offline analysis integration
- HUDL app – allows players access to the analysis information from any device.
This coaching software improves the use of video in performance analysis. It brings the teams closer by offering engagement capabilities and combines the best coaching practice by making players central to the analysis process for optimum results.
Coach Logic key features:
- Streamlined video analysis – easily accesible tools
- Upload, view, analyse, discuss and share limitless match and training videos
- User-friendly interface
- Saves time by completing match analysis collaboratively
- Upload, move and learn anywhere features by using cloud based phone and web apps
- It allows players to access the information at any time and respond with comments
- You can easily create playlists
- Notifications that keep coaches and players up to date with any information needed
- Video tagging, match review and video filters
- Offline analysis integration
We’ll end this list here. If you have any questions or suggestions related to this post, feel free to let us know in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sometimes, human error makes it so that faults or critical moments from a sports game are easy to miss. In that situation, video assistance referees play an important role, and they use video analysis software in order to spot hard-to-see moments.
First thing’s first, you’ll need a source video to analyze. You upload it to the app and begin marking important events throughout the game. At the end of the analysis, you’ll have a full overview of the entire match, which you can further analyze.
Yes, many video analysis software solutions allow you to use a live video as the source you’re currently focused on. Nacsport, for instance, even allows you to perform analysis without a video source.