- In the new digital age the traction of comics and manga books has increased
- Having a usable and compatible with CBR format software is a must if you are into comics reading
- Make sure to check our article on best manga readers if you are an avid anime fan
- Visit our eBook section for more interesting top lists
A CBR file, or a comic book file, is like an archive of several images put together back to back. If you open such a file with a dedicated CBR reader, you will be able to read and control it as if it were a comic book.
You could also open a CBR file with an archiving tool such as WinRAR. However, if you do this the images will just be extracted, and not be paired in any particular way.
Since comic books are reaching the digital age, comic book readers are appearing and evolving as well.
There are many such programs out there, so choosing the right one can be confusing. That is why we’ve compiled a list of the best programs that can open CBR files efficiently.
Icecream Ebook Reader (recommended)
When it comes to reading comic books in a simple manner, nothing beats Icecream Ebook Reader. The program is extremely lightweight, so you can enjoy reading your favorite vintage comic on your not-so-favorite vintage PC.
Additionally, it memorizes where you left off when reading a comic, so you don’t waste time backtracking to see where you left off.
- Clean and customizable UI
- More lightweight than other similar programs
- Tracks your reading history, so getting back at a comic is easy
- Can’t make annotations
Soda PDF comic book reader
Soda PDF is a well-established developer when it comes to readers. While their comic book reader is capable of opening CBR and CBZ files without a problem, the 3D page-flipping effect is what makes it shine.
Every time you finish reading a page, just click the corner of the page and it will flip right in front of your eyes, and if you are using a touchscreen device, this will feel even more realistic.
- Comes with a free version
- Great-looking built-in 3D page-flipping technology
- 100% compatible with all CBR & CBZ files
- A lot of features hidden behind a paywall
It loads fast, it allows you to view the pages in single or double-page mode, it features color correction technology that makes it great for low-quality scanned comic books and more.
- Intuitive interface
- lightweight design
- Great for files that are low quality
- Allows you to add bookmarks
- Not frequently updated
You can use this platform to get all the comic books you may ever need, and the simplistic comic book reader it also provides is great as well.
Additionally, the program is available on all platforms, including mobile ones, allowing you to read your favorite series wherever you go.
- The platform is great for getting any comic
- They have occasional sales
- They sometimes even offer freebies to subscribers
- Their comic book reader is available for all platforms
- Their comic book reader may be a bit too simplistic for some
Value Bundle Comic Book Software
It comes packed with 3 different and very lightweight comic book readers, namely Comic Book Reader, MComix and HakuNeko Manga.
HakuNeko Manga also lets you download manga off of a specific website, making it great for fans of this genre.
- Fits pages to window, to width, to height, or to a percentage
- Crisp image resizing
- Intuitive interface
- Opens CBR (RAR) and CBZ (ZIP) comic book archives
- Displays JPEG, PNG, GIF, and TIFF images
- Not updated frequently
Closing thoughts on programs that can open CBR files
Comic books are viewed by many as a work of art. They tell stories new and old in a way that appeals to both younger and more mature audiences, and they don’t seem to be losing any popularity any time soon.
That is why comic book reading programs exist so that these works of art can reach even those that prefer the digital version as opposed to the physical one.
FAQ regarding CBR reading software
- What program opens CBR files?
We recommend Icecream Ebook Reader as the best CBR opener software that is also compatible with comics and eBooks reading.
- Can CBR files be converted to PDF?
There are plenty of services online such as OnlineConverter that can easily convert your CBR into PDF.
- Does kindle support CBR?
Unfortunately, kindle does not support the CBR file format.