Yammer is an enterprise-oriented social media solution from Microsoft. The aim of this service is to facilitate private, secure communication within organizations by acting as an internal social media.
Therefore, you can use it to create relevant posts, keep in touch with your colleagues, or send them messages without worrying about intrusions. You’ll need an Office 365 business account and a stable Internet connection to get started.
Yammer’s system requirements
You will need to meet the following requirements if you plan on giving Yammer a try:
- Operating system: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7
- Architecture: supports both 32-bit and 64-bit systems
- Miscellaneous: Office 365 business account
- Internet: you need a stable connection to use the service
Notice that the list of requirements isn’t pretentious at all. The bottom line is you can use Yammer on any PC running Windows 7 and up. However, having a business Office 365 account is what matters most.
- Internal social media created for organizations
- Enhances communication and keeps it private
- Great collaboration tool for enterprises
- Efficient file-sharing system
- The app doesn't work without an Office 365 business account
Yammer free trial
As you probably figured out by now, you can’t use Yammer for free. You’ll need to provide the app with a business Office 365 account. Since Yammer is included in the Office 365 collection of subscription plans, you’ll have to purchase one such plan to use the app.
We’ve tried using the web version here and we managed to sign up for an account using a work email address. However, note that the desktop app doesn’t recognize our non-Office-365-business email address.
How to download and install Yammer
In terms of locating the download package and deploying it on the target PC, things are very simple. You can choose between a 32-bit and a 64-bit installer, depending on your operating system’s architecture, and download the installer of your choice on your computer.
Once the download’s done, launch the installer/executable. Notice that there’s no setup process whatsoever, as everything unfolds silently, without any additional assistance on your side. At the end of the process, Yammer will run automatically. Log into your account and start communicating with your peers.
What can Yammer’s desktop app do
This desktop app is but a native client for your Windows PC, to simplify the way you interact with Yammer. It encompasses the entire functionality of the service, hence the Office 365 business email restrictions.
It’s worth mentioning that you won’t be able to use the desktop client without an Office 365 account. If your organization features support for SSO (Single sign-on), you’ll be logged in automatically after you launch the app.
In addition to Yammer’s basic functionality, its desktop app also benefits from OS integration features, such as shortcuts, startup launching, and even system-wide notifications.
How to use Yammer
Imagine having a social media platform just for your organization. That’s what Yammer feels like. You can share updates with your peers, tell them what you’re working on, ask questions, create polls, or change the order of the news you receive in your feed.
More so, you can manage groups within your company, and restrict the access of its members to only some of them, depending on your needs. For instance, you can organize members by departments, or leave a company-wide group where everyone is invited.
There’s a messaging system so you can keep in touch with your colleagues, and a notification service, which lets you know if something worth knowing is going on. You can even download a Yammer app for your mobile device and take your communication on the go.
Handy desktop client for Microsoft’s Yammer service
All in all, if you’re already a Yammer user and would like to access this service without relying on a web browser every time, you can download its desktop client. It offers you everything that Yammer’s web service does, and then some (i.e. notifications, shortcuts).
You can download it for free, but using it requires you to have an Office 365 business account. You might be able to use the Yammer web service with only a work email address, but you won’t be able to use the desktop app without a valid Office 365 business subscription.
FAQ: Learn more about Yammer
- Is Yammer included in Office 365?
Yes, but not all plans include Yammer. Office 365 E1, E2, and E3 include Yammer, but the Office 365 ProPlus plan doesn’t.
- Is Yammer free?
If you want to use Yammer for free, you can sign up for an account using a work email address. This will let you access the basic version of Yammer, and you also won’t be able to use the desktop app.
- What is Yammer good for?
In short, Yammer is a social communications platform that lets you connect with other members of your organization by following them and their posts, sending them messages or sharing files with them.
Overview of Yammer features
- Lets you improve communication within your organization by creating an internal social media
- You can use it to build interest-based communities, receive feedback, and keep everyone up-to-date
- Integrates well with 365 apps such as Microsoft Teams, or SharePoint
- Enables you to create, edit, or share documents straight from Yammer with the web version of Office
- Runs on the same security and management frameworks as Office 365 does
- Offers you with a comprehensive activity overview (Analytics)
- Admin tools let you control your own social network by organizing groups and managing permissions
- Create and manage groups freely, assign members to them
- Keep in touch with other Yammer members in your organization by sending and receiving messages
- Follow persons of interest in your groups
- Send attachments straight from Office 365 to your Yammer conversations or “timeline”
- Hashtag support
- Find messages, groups, hashtags, and other users with the advanced search feature
- Create a detailed profile by adding things such as a profile picture, location, expertise, email address, and contact number
- Software Version
- social media, Microsoft, organization