- Steam is one of the largest gaming platforms in the world with over 15M active users.
- Gamers can buy skins, weapons, and other items to customize their game characters.
- Do you use Steam frequently? Then you'll love our dedicated Steam page.
- Hardcore gamers will also love reading what we have in our Gaming section as well.
A large number of users have encountered the Steam Error accepting trade on their PCs. Because of this, a great number of people stormed the official Steam forums complaining about this issue.
There are several causes for this error, and in today’s article, we will explore some of the best methods you need to try in order to fix this.
Please follow the steps presented in this guide in the order that they are written in (from the least to the most invasive).
How can I fix Steam error when accepting the trade?
1. Use a browser to process the request instead of your Steam client
- Close your Steam client by right-clicking the icon inside your taskbar, and selecting Exit.
- Open up your browser and log into the official Steam website.
- Visit your message center by clicking on the message box -> try to accept (or perform) the trade here.
- If this method didn’t help you, or you’re already using your browser to accept the trade, follow the next methods.
Speaking of which, if you’re using Steam, why not use it together with the world’s first and best gaming browser: Opera GX. It is fast, powerful, and most importantly, it looks like it’s for gaming.
This tool features a gaming-inspired theme with Razer Chroma integration, built-in gaming news and deals like discounts and weekly freebies, a Twitch panel, and more.
Additionally, you can still run it while gaming, even online, since it also comes with a few gaming features, like RAM and bandwidth limiter.
Opera GXVisit the Steam homepage and do pretty much anything you want from within the world's first web browser for gamers!
2. Make sure that the receiver doesn’t have a full backpack
If the user you’re trying to perform the trade with has no more space available in his backpack, then you will not be able to perform the trade successfully, and you will see the Steam error accepting trade message.
If the user still has space in his item list, then try the next methods.
3. Click accept more than a few times and have patience
- Sometimes, because of the overload on the Steam servers, the acceptance process of a trade will require you to click the Accept button a few times.
- In the case of some users, they managed to perform the trade after clicking the Accept button more than 6 times and then waiting.
4. Restart your Steam client
In the case of some of the users that encountered the Steam error accepting trade, they just had to restart their Steam client in order to be able to accept the transfer.
If this didn’t work either, then follow the next method.
5. Uninstall and reinstall your Steam client
- Press Win+X keys -> select Apps and features.
- Inside the Apps list -> select the Steam app -> click Uninstall.
- After the process is completed, visit the official Steam download page and download the latest version.
- Install Steam to your PC by following the on-screen instructions.
Please feel free to let us know if this guide helped you solve the Steam error accepting trade issue. You can do so by using the comment section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Steam
- Is Steam trading safe?
Trading items on Steam is completely safe. The platform relies on advanced security protocols that guarantee trading remains safe. Make sure all the items are traded inside the trade window.
- Where are my trades in Steam?
To view your Steam trades, log in to your account and then hover over your profile name. Click on Inventory and then on More. In the new list of options that appear on the screen, click on View Inventory History.
- Why do I have to wait 7 days to trade on Steam?
Steam trading is governed by a series of rules. According to one of these rules, users have to wait for 7 days after they traded an item before being able to trade it again.
- Is there a monthly fee for Steam?
You can create a Steam account for free and there is no monthly subscription involved. As a Steam user, you only pay when you buy games or in-game items.
- Can you play Steam games offline?
To play Steam games offline, connect to Steam and activate the offline mode. You can then launch the games you want to play. Keep in mind you can only play single-player or local multiplayer games.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2020 and has been since revamped and updated in August 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.