- Getting this error message after buying stock on Robinhood can be an annoying issue.
- Today we explore the reasons for which some stock is not supported on the Robinhood trading app.
- Curios about similar programs? Check out our Trading Software page.
- Find the best software for your area of interest in our Business Software Hub.
Robinhood is a popular American financial services company. It operates as Robinhood Financial, trading commission-free stocks, ETFs, and options, and Robinhood Crypto, used buy and sell cryptocurrency.
The platform trades only US-listed stock; namely, they trade only what can be found in the American exchanges.
According to Robinhood, they don’t support stocks that trade on foreign exchanges. That being said, they do support certain American Depository Receipts (ADRs) and some stocks that trade on Canadian and Israeli exchanges.
It is also worth noting that depending on your location, you may also be eligible to trade certain cryptocurrencies through Robinhood Crypto.
On fri i bought 9 shares of vtl. Now today it doesnt show in my list of stocks i own. When i went to look at my buy sell list it shows there i bought it and i went to veiw it and it doesnt say its supported on robinhood.
This is a common situation when trading stock – namely, users buy stock that becomes unavailable on the platform they are using.
As mentioned before, Robinhood only trades US stock. However, if a certain stock is unavailable from the very beginning, the user should not see a Buy button.
As it is, this particular user might have had the option to buy, but then the not supported message appeared after a few days.
Also according to Robinhood, this might happen for a few reasons:
- The exchange has paused trading.
- The stock was delisted from the major exchanges and trades in the OTC market.
- It’s a foreign security, which we don’t support.
- The security is undergoing a corporate action (i.e. merger).
What can I do if my stock is no longer supported?
If a stock is delisted and no longer supported by Robinhood, users are able to sell it in the market, without being able to purchase additional shares.
Also, since trading prices are no longer visible for that stock, users have to find references elsewhere.
We hope our answer was helpful and that your portfolio was not affected to a high extent. Feel free to give us your feedback in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about trading stock software
- What is the best stock trading app for beginners?
Some say that eToro would be it. However, trading apps come with a lot of particular features, so its best to try them since most offer free demo accounts.
- Can you get rich off Robinhood?
It is possible, yes. However, we suggest that you use a personal finance accounting software and of course, build a good strategy.
- Are trading apps safe?
Some are, and some aren’t. No matter if a particular app tries to sell your details or not, you can always stay on the safe side using your own dedicated device protection.