Those of you that are a bit older, or maybe fans of Tim Burton, probably know what stop motion animation is.
If you don’t, then you should know that put in simpler terms, it is what kids used to watch before CGI cartoons were invented.
Stop motion animation is fairly simple to achieve, and that’s why you can even buy kits that help you get started and get better at it with time.
Since there are plenty of kits out there, we’ve compiled a list of what we think are the best. This is so that you will have the best experience while directing your mini-movies.
Note: Deals are subject to change. Keep in mind that the price tag often varies. We recommend going on the vendor’s website to check the price. Some of the products may be out of stock by the time you’ve made your purchasing decision. So, hurry up and hit the buy button.
Lego Make Your Own Movie Activity Kit
The Lego Make Your Own Movie Activity Kit is a complete guide to making good stop motion animations and it includes a very in-depth book plus several props, but you can also use your own Lego toys as well.
- Stop-motion animation is easy with accessible (and free) apps available for tablets and phones
- Projects are an easy introduction to animation. Mini movies can be made in as little as an hour
- Stop-motion animation scales up to older or more advanced kid moviemakers
- Great for ages 8+
- Includes an 80-page book
- The book may be hard to understand for children alone
Stopmotion Explosion - Animation Kit
It includes several props, a guide book and a 1920 x 1080 high-definition camera with an upgraded easy focus ring and low profile that will make your amateur stop motion movies look like professional work.
- Used around the world by STEM educators, teachers, homeschoolers and after-school programs.
- Ideal for LEGO Brickfilms. Securely connects to your computer without detaching.
- Learn everything you need to know in our Stopmotion Explosion book
- Using the app alongside the book is recommended for faster learning
StikBot Zanimation Studio
This animation kit includes a studio stage with a green screen, assorted props, StikBot characters, and a camera mount for your phone.
Additionally, you can use the kit in conjunction with the mobile app to simulate backdrops against the green screen and make the animation process a whole lot easier.
- Props include a studio stage with green screen, assorted props, StikBot characters, and a camera mount
- Great value for the entire kit
- Not too many StikBots included in the kit
HUE Animation Studio Kit
This is because the kit only includes a guide book, a license to a stop motion animation software, a HUE HD USB camera with a microphone, and a mini stage with background and green screen.
This makes it ideal for animations featuring anything from Lego or Playmobil toys, or even clay animations.
- Includes the award-winning HUE HD USB camera with microphone
- Comes with a 60-page animation activity book with printable activities
- Props include a mini stage with background and green screen
- You get a license for stop motion software with time-lapse features, sound effects, and backdrops
- The software could use a little more tweaking
NPW-USA Clay Animation Kit
The kit contains everything you need, including a support for your camera phone, a stage, clay and googly eyes for you to make characters, and a comprehensive guide book.
- Kit contains support for a camera phone
- Full instruction book packed with tips for fun stop-animation movies
- Works with simple to use apps on all smartphones
- For ages 8 and up
- You need to use your own phone to record the animations
Closing thoughts on stop motion animation kits
Stimulating a child’s creative thinking is great, especially at a young age. If you can make it so that they are also productive at the same time, it’s even better.
Such would be the idea behind stop motion animation kits, as not only will your child learn how to harness their imagination, but they may even develop it into a great pastime or career later on.