Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
- Surface Duo users have yet another reason to be happy with their choice.
- Microsoft has just started rolling out a new OS update for the Surface Duo.
- The update was scheduled back in December but got postponed to 2022.
- Everyone is now patiently waiting for the gadget to move on to Android 12L
We’re pretty sure that most of you have already seen or interacted with a Surface Duo, which is Microsoft’s first crack at a double screen, foldable device.
The good news for people that actually bought one is that the time has come for it to be getting Android 11.
Everyone was pretty much expecting this update back in December, but the tech giant postponed it for unknown reasons, and it only started rolling out now.
Suface Duo finally gets Android 11
Microsoft has decided that it’s time they started delivering the full version of Android 11 Update to the Surface Duo.
This software includes January Security Patch as well and has been tagged as version 2021.1027.156. The Over the Air (OTA) update is 2.38 GB, thus Surface Duo owners are advised to update their devices over Wi-Fi.
Users have been expecting Android 11 back in 2021, but now that it’s here, users are hoping for Android 12L, which is a division of Android that has been optimized for tablets, foldable devices, and dual-screen smartphones.
The new features that come with this update have been released by 9to5Google:
- Enabled launching of OneNote when clicking the top button on Surface Slim Pen 2. It requires Surface Slim Pen 2 to be paired with Surface Duo.
- Enabled in Surface Duo features, in Settings, to choose preference for answering phone calls when folded.
- Enabled in Surface Duo features, in Settings, to choose specific apps to automatically span across both screens when you open them.
- Optimized Quick Settings and notification width for portrait and landscape orientations.
- Adjust media volume directly from Quick Settings in any device mode.
- Use thumb mode in Microsoft SwiftKey now with all device modes and application states.
- Updated app drawer and folder design with improved drag-and-drop support.
- Refreshed Microsoft feed design with updated cards and new Microsoft Start widgets for News and Weather.
- Photos by OneDrive: New dual-screen enhanced experience for viewing and editing photos in the OneDrive app.
- Xbox Game Pass: Discovery and play games from the cloud with an on-screen controller. Some devices, accessories, and software sold separately. Additional fees and/or subscriptions required for some apps and features.
- Send feedback to Microsoft by opening Settings, then tap About, then tap Give feedback to Microsoft.
If you also need a bit more info or you want to backtrack previous software, you can have a look at the update history.
Have you also downloaded this version of Android for your Surface Duo? Share your experience with us in the comments section below.