- Airtel is an Indian ISP that also provides routers. Unfortunately, many users report that their VPN connection is not working on Airtel Broadband.
- If you're one of these users, check out our quick tips to easily fix this issue and make your VPN functional on Airtel.
- Check out our Router guides to resolve any other router problems.
- Visit our VPN Troubleshooting Hub if you have other VPN issues.
Several Airtel Broadband users have complained about a network connection issue when trying to connect over a VPN.
It seems that the VPN is not working on Airtel Broadband at all.
Here’s an example claiming that the Indian ISP blocks virtual private network connections:
I took one broadband connection on 24th may 2017.
Internet is working fine for me. The issue i am facing from 24th may 2017 with SR : 82813214 is:
1>couldn’t login through VPN application to reach my office network through this internet connection.
2>Its working fine when i am trying with airtel 4g dongle and airtel postpaid sim.
3>It also working fine in one of my collegue working with me in same company.
themanas on Airtel Broadband Complaints forum
If you’re also facing this issue, discover our quick-fix solutions below.
How do I fix VPN not working with Airtel Broadband?
Reset your router
- Turn on the modem and wait until the LED light is stable
- Using a pen tip or any protruding material, press and hold the reset button for 20 to 30 seconds
- Wait for the modem to reset/restart
Create a port trigger on your router
- Turn off your VPN
- Access your router admin page using http://192.168.1.1
- Find and click Advanced Setup
- Select NAT > Port Triggering
- Fill in the fields required by your VPN provider
- Apply changes and restart your PC
Setting up port forwarding mode at the router level has been proven effective on Airtel’s old Beetel modem (BXI 450).
But you can also try it on newer routers to see if it works.
Use a reliable VPN
It’s critical to use a VPN that works well with Airtel Broadband. You should avoid using free VPN because they aren’t reliable.
We suggest opting for Private Internet Access (PIA). It’s a trustworthy VPN service that you can set up on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android devices.
You can also set up PIA at the router level since it has OpenVPN manual configuration mode. If your router doesn’t support VPN client mode, you could get a second router that does and use a bridge-mode configuration.
And, if you’re thinking of configuring your home network to accept VPN connections, you can do this with PIA, too, because it supports native port forwarding.
More about PIA:
- OpenVPN and WireGuard protocols
- Kill switch and exclusive DNS
- A zero-logging policy
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No free trial
Private Internet Access
Use PIA if your VPN connection isn’t working with Airtel Broadband.
To sum up, if your VPN connection isn’t working on Airtel Broadband, you can try resetting your router and setting up port triggering.
However, a better solution is to turn to a premium VPN client like Private Internet Access (buy here).
Your connection is not secure - websites you visit can find out your details:
- Your IP Address:
Companies can sell this information, alongside your location and internet provider name, and profit from it by serving targeted ads or monitoring your data usage.
We recommend Private Internet Access, a VPN with a no-log policy, open source code, ad blocking and much more; now 79% off.