Proof that Windows 10 Enterprise ignores user privacy settings
Recent user reports suggest that Windows 10 Enterprise ignores various privacy settings. According to Mark Burnett, an independent IT security analyst, the OS lets users enable their preferred privacy settings only to ignore them after the fact:
More specifically, here’s what Burnett found out:
- Despite having Teredo and IPv6 disabled, the system still connects out to perform IPV6 Teredo tests
- With SmartScreen disabled, the system is still connecting to SmartScreen.
- Despite having telemetry and the tracking-related services disabled, the system still connects to these services. Adding a few extra reg hacks doesn’t help blocking telemetry services.
- With every policy set to not sync settings and the sync-related services disabled, the system still syncs settings.
- The system still sends error reports, although error reporting is disabled.
- Online KMS validation disabled doesn’t yield the desired results.
- With every possible setting to block connections to Microsoft disabled (except updates), a bunch of advertising-related connections are still visible.
Ultimately, Microsoft doesn’t honor it’s own Group Policy settings. For more details about this strange Windows 10 Enterprise behavior, you can check out Mark Burnett Twitter page. You’ll also find screenshots for all the privacy issues listed above as well.
Windows 10 users have been constantly worrying about Windows 10’s privacy settings and Burnett’s report only confirms their worst fears, suggesting that Microsoft is actively defying its users’ wishes.
I’m really glad that people do research like this. It’s possibly the only thing that pushes back against full abuse of large organizations selling a complex product. The average expert user doesn’t have resources to investigate not to mention non-expert users.
Burnett’s discoveries have also caused quite a stir on Reddit as well. Microsoft has yet to issue any comments on this situation.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows 10 privacy gets major changes to win over suspicious users
- Best Windows 10 Privacy Protection Software to use
- Hidden ad setting in Windows 10 Creators Update could sneak into your privacy
Nvidia GeForce Experience is a useful application, but many users reported error code 0x0001 while using Nvidia GeForce Experience. Today we’ll take a look at […]
IPad owners where left frustrated after Skype dropped support for earlier versions of iOS. When trying to install Skype on their iPads, an error message […]
Many Windows 10 users reported not being able to run WebGL supported websites. Error message WebGL is not supported pops up disallowing 2D and 3D […]