FIX: Windows Media Player won’t rip one or more tracks in Windows 10
But some users have reported that they’re unable to rip music from CDs and DVDs with Windows Media Player in Windows 10, and we’re here to solve that problem.
What to do if Windows Media Player Won’t Rip Music in Windows 10
- Manage Music Libraries
- Install Necessary Codecs
- Improve the quality of ripped music
- Restore to Default the music library folder
Solution 1 – Manage Music Libraries
The most common cause of this problem is actually a conflict between between locations where your ripped music will be placed. If you have more than one ‘Music Libraries,’ there’s a possibility that this error will occur.
Solution for this problem is quite simple, you just need to delete other Music Libraries, and you’ll be able to copy your music from CD to your computer, without any problems. Here’s exactly what you need to do:
- Open Windows Media Player
- Press Alt to open the File context menu
- Go to File, Manage Libraries, and then to Music
- Delete all music libraries except the default one, where your music will be placed
- Try to rip your music again
Solution 2 – Install Necessary Codecs
If your Windows 10 system lacks certain audio codecs, you probably won’t be able to rip music to your computer (you probably won’t be able to even play it).
So, it won’t do any harm to check if you have proper audio codecs installed on your computer. If you don’t have any codecs, you should install them immediately.
We recommend the latest K-Lite Codec Pack for Windows 10, but if you want something else, just search the internet for the codec pack that suits you up the best.
Once you installed the proper codec pack, try to run Windows Media Player and rip the music again, and I’m sure things are going to be better this time.
That’s it, most people reported that these two solutions (especially the first one) solved their problem with ripping music in Windows 10, and we hope they will help you as well.
Solution 3 – Improve the quality of ripped music
Some users who encountered the issue have managed to resolve it by setting the audio quality to the highest possible.
After that, they no longer encountered problems with ripping music with Windows Media Player in Windows 10.
- Open Windows Media Player. You can do that by pressing Windows key + R. It will open the Run dialog box. Type ”wmplayer” and press Enter.
- Right-click on the ribbon of Windows Media Player and choose Tool and then Options.
- Go to Rip Music and turn the audio quality to maximum for each format.
- Click Apply to save the modifications, then try to see if still Windows Media Player cannot rip music.
Solution 4 – Restore to Default the music library folder
If the solutions above don’t work, it is possible that Windows Media Player is dealing with corrupted files.
Some users have managed to solve the problem after they restored to default the music library. Here is how to do that:
- Close Windows Media Player or make sure it is closed.
- Open File Explorer, find “Music” section, right-click on it and click “Properties”.
- Select “Location” tab and click “Restore Default”.
- Restart your computer to see if you can rip music with Windows Media Player.
If you have any questions, suggestions, or maybe you have some other solution for ripping problem with Windows Media Player in Windows 10, don’t hesitate to share it with us in the comments.
- Windows Media Player does not recognize blank CD? Fix it now
- Windows Media Player doesn’t show video? We got solutions for it
- Windows Media Player encountered a problem with the skin file [FIX]
- Windows Media Player Plays MKV Files in Windows 10
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2015 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Users have reported that their browser software does not fit the screen on Windows 10 whenever they load the websites in a window half of […]
PS4 Remote Play is a convenient way of casting and remotely-playing your PlayStation 4 games on a PC. However, as that’s the case with any […]
Ever since Java 7, Oracle has implemented a security check within the program to help with security. As a result, some users are often encountering […]