Windows 10 usage share makes big gains in January

Reading time icon 2 min. read

Readers help support Windows Report. We may get a commission if you buy through our links. Tooltip Icon

Read our disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report sustain the editorial team Read more

Independent metrics firms are continuing to validate Microsoft’s most recent claim that Windows 10 is running on 200 million devices. Earlier this morning we reported that analytics firm NetMarketShare found Windows 10 was running on 13.1% of all Windows Devices. Impressively, the numbers also show January was Microsoft’s second largest one-month increase since Windows 10 was released.

Now, another analytics firm, StatCounter, is reporting that Windows 10 had a global usage share 13.7% for December (via Computer World). The number is up by 1.8%, making it the second largest single-month increase since September, according to StatCounter. The reason for a slight discrepancy between StatCounter and NetMarketShare’s numbers is because StatCounter’s metrics track activity rather than users.

Surface Book and Surface Pro 4

The news from independent analytics firms confirms that Windows 10’s adoption rate is picking up, undoubtedly in part due to the holiday season. It is certainly welcomed in Redmond as Yusuf Mehdi, Microsoft’s Corporate VP for Windows and Devices, posted early last month that “more that 200 million monthly active devices around the world running Windows 10.” The 200 million mark is an important milestone of its goal to have Windows 10 running on 1 billion devices in 2018; and reached the 20% mark in just about six months.

The reports by independent analytics firms do not go into detail as to why the numbers jumped up, but it is most likely due to two things. First, holiday sales of new Windows 10 Devices undoubtedly helped drive up Windows 10’s market share, as Microsoft itself is continuing to show increased revenue from its Surface division.

New Xbox One Experience
New Xbox One Experience

Second, the New Xbox One Experience update brought Windows 10 to Microsoft’s current generation gaming console. Since Microsoft doesn’t release the number of Xbox Ones sold, the most recent estimates by Electronic Arts has pegged that number at around 19 million consoles.

Now that it is confirmed Microsoft has reached 20% of their goal for Windows 10 to be on a billion devices, we’ll just have to wait to see what the technology company does to help reach the other 80%. With the free upgrade offer for Windows 10 set to expire this July, and Windows 10 Mobiles market share continuing to drop, Microsoft and its OEM partners have their work cut out for them to get 800 million more devices running Windows 10.