- Windows 11 comes with exciting features and a new user interface that most users already love.
- The new Start Menu is now centered, with rounded corners, and the Pinned and Recommended sections are meant to be of great help to users.
- However, not all of them enjoy the Recommended section, which they just want to be removed.
- We provide you below with some easy ways to get rid of the Recommended files in Windows 11.
For all users who want something new when it comes to interacting with the OS, Microsoft is offering a redesigned user interface with the new Windows 11 operating system.
This fresh UI stands out with rounded corners, but the surprise element is really the fact that the Taskbar and the Start Menu are now centrally arranged, no longer appearing as we were used to in all other versions of Windows in the past.
Of course, for more conservative users or simply those who are used to the old way, they can move the Taskbar back to the left side of the screen without much effort.
The only downside to the new Taskbar layout is that it can only be pinned to the bottom of the screen, it’s no longer flexible like it used to be.
Although most users prefer to use it exactly as it is, being limited to this option can cause some complaints.
However, let’s not forget that Windows 11 has not yet been released and that there are certainly many more improvements to come until the end of the year when it becomes official.
For now, we can only enjoy and test the Windows 11 build 22000.51, that was recently made available to us.
The Start menu features two sections: the Pinned section at the top with large app icons from which to choose what you need, and the Recommended section, which shows you documents you’ve recently opened.
The only problem is that some users aren’t interested in constantly seeing the latest open files, documents, or installed apps, and this section can even get annoying.
But that’s no cause for concern either because there are two ways you can remove them in the new OS, which you can find below.
How do I remove Recommended files on Windows 11?
1. Disable the recently opened items in Start, Jump Lists, and File Explorer
- Open the Start Menu, and select the Settings app.
- On the sidebar at the left, choose the Personalization section.
- Scroll down and select Start.
- Turn off the Show recently opened items in Start, Jump Lists, and File Explorer option.
- This will make recently opened files or documents disappear from the recommendations section.
You can even go a step further and hide even the recently installed apps from the Start Menu. All you need to do is turn off the Show recently added apps option, which you can find above, so you get the personalized screen you want.
2. Remove recommended files one by one
- Select the file or document that you don’t want there.
- Right-click on it, and select Remove from list.
- The file will disappear from the Start Menu.
Also, for users who are only bothered by certain files they don’t want to be displayed in the Recommended section, there’s a really quick fix for them too.
It’s also worth mentioning that the section currently remains in the Start Menu even after you disable the Show recently opened files option, although empty.
Let’s not be alarmed yet though, it’s possible that Microsoft will allow users to remove this section altogether until the official release of Windows 11, along with other updates.
Why not, possibly even allowing them to use the entire Pinned section exclusively for the desired apps they want to access as quickly as possible. At the moment however anything is possible, we only have a preview build.
Also, if you’re curious about Windows 10 compared to Windows 11, it’s worth checking out our comprehensive guide for a visualization of the differences.
For more suggestions or other questions about the new features in Windows 11, feel free to leave a message in the comments section below.