- Windows could not search for new updates message will prevent you from downloading new updates, so it’s important to fix it.
- One way to fix this issue is to use Command Prompt or PowerShell to reset certain components.
- A corrupted user account can also be a problem, so be sure to check your accounts.
- Our solutions can also help fix Windows could not search for new updates code 80072ee2 error, so be sure to try them.
Sometimes certain errors such as Windows could not search for new updates can appear and prevent you from downloading updates. This can be a major issue since you can leave your system vulnerable.
However, there’s a way to fix this problem, and in today’s guide, we’re going to show you how to fix this error once and for all.
What do I do if Windows could not search for new updates?
1. Use the command line
- Press Windows Key + X and select PowerShell (Admin) from the list. You can also use Command Prompt.
- Now run the following commands one by one:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
After running these commands, check if the Windows could not search for new updates message still appears.
2. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
- Open the Settings app. You can do that quickly with Windows Key + I shortcut.
- Navigate to the Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot from the menu on the left and go to Additional troubleshooters.
- Select Windows Update and click on Run the troubleshooter.
- Wait for the scan to finish.
After the scan is finished, check if the problem is still there.
3. Create a new administrator account
- Open the Settings app and go to Accounts.
- Select Family & other users and click on Add someone else to this PC.
- Select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Now select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Enter the username and password for the new account.
- Switch to the new account and check if the issue still appears.
If the Windows could not search for new updates is gone, it means that you had some file corruption issues, but creating a new account usually fixes that. Now you just have to migrate all your files from the previous user account to the new one.
Windows could not search for new updates error message can leave your system vulnerable, but we hope that our solutions helped you fix the problem.
If you found a different solution on your own, feel free to share it with us in the comments section below.