- You probably encountered the error Could not complete scan when trying to scan your documents using the Windows Fax and Scan feature.
- Run the hardware troubleshooter and then try to repair corrupted system files using the System File Checker. Follow the step-by-step guide below.
- There are not so many problems with Windows Fax and Scan but nevertheless, we have the Windows Fax and Scan section where you can find solutions for any other issues.
- Peripherals are as important as your computer so if they malfunction, check out our Peripherals category for solutions.
Solutions to fix Windows Fax and Scan not working
- Update the drivers for your scanner
- Run Hardware troubleshooter
- Repair corrupted system files
- Perform Windows update
Some Windows users encountered the error Could not complete scan when trying to scan their documents using the Windows Fax and Scan feature.
If you are also facing this inconvenience and you are searching for a solution to fix the error Could not complete scan, you can find below a couple of solutions that may help you fix your problem:
How can I fix Scan could not be completed?
Solution 1: Update the drivers for your scanner
Users acknowledged that many times they encounter this problem when the drivers were not up to date.
So the first solution you should try is uninstalling the printers and scan drivers and then install the drivers manually. In order to do this, please follow the steps described below:
- Press the Windows key + R
- Type control and press Enter
- In Control Panel go to Programs and features
- Right click on your scanner’s driver and select Uninstall
- Restart your computer
- Download the scanner drivers from the device manufacturer’s website
- Right click on the driver setup file and click on Properties
- Click on Compatibility tab and check the box Run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows 10 from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation
- Restart your computer
Solution 2: Run the hardware troubleshooter
Windows 10 features a series of built-in troubleshooting tools that can help you fix general technical issues in just a couple of minutes.
So this is another solution you could try if you still receive the message Could not complete scan. In order to do this:
- Press the Windows key in order to open the Start menu
- Type troubleshooting in the search box
- Click on the Troubleshooting tab
- Select the option Hardware and Device
- Click Run the troubleshooter
Solution 3: Repair corrupted system files
System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.
Could not complete scan error can occur if certain components of your operating system are damaged or corrupted, and in order to fix them, you can use SFC scan.
To do that, follow these steps:
- click Start and type Command Prompt in the search box
- Right click Command prompt and then click Run as administrator (If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow)
- When Command prompt opens, enter sfc/ scannow and press Enter
- Wait for the process to complete, close Command prompt and check if the error is solved
If the SFC scan did not fix the problem, you might want to consider using also DISM scan. To perform a DISM scan, you just need to follow the steps below:
- Start Command prompt as administrator
- Enter DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth and press Enter to run the command
- DISM scan will now start and make sure you do not interrupt it
Once the scan is finished, please check if the problem is solved. If the issue is still there or if you were unable to run a SFC scan before, a good solution now would be to repeat the SFC scan.
After doing that, check if the Could not complete scan error still occurs.
Solution 4: Run Windows update
In order to have a healthy computer, you need to keep updating Windows to the latest system updates, and drivers. This also helps you solve any issues or difficulties you may be experiencing.
Here is how to manually check and install Windows Update:
- Go to Start
- In the search field, type Windows Update
- Click on Windows Updates Settings from the search results
- Install the latest Windows updates
Did any of these solutions help you fix error Could not complete scan? Your experience is always important to us and you can share it by leaving a comment below.
Feel free to list additional troubleshooting solutions as well.
FAQ: Read more about Windows Fax & Scan errors
- How do I fix a scanner error?
First, try to update or change the driver for your scanner. If that doesn’t work, read our complete guide to fix this problem.
- How do I change the scanner on Windows Fax and Scan?
Launch the Windows Fax and Scan and open the Scan settings option, then change the setting of the profile. If you have trouble using Windows Fax and Scan, you can also read our best selection of scanner software.
- Why is my computer not recognizing my scanner?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.