- Are you looking for a way to solve the WinRAR Access is denied error? Let us show you a few tricks.
- Well, you can try to re-download the WinRAR file or start using a more reliable file compression tool.
- Do visit our File Management Software section to find more options and nifty tips to easily apply.
- Moreover, don’t hesitate to check out and even bookmark this PC Software Troubleshooting Hub.
In spite of using WinRAR for years, countless users complain about getting the Access is denied error in Windows 10.
Some describe trying to back up an old drive from a WinXP machine in Windows 10 just to keep on getting the same message in a lot of the folders they’re trying to include.
Other users simply downloaded a WinRAR file from the Internet. Extracting the files from it should easily work, yet that’s not the case.
WinRAR files often get damaged and refuse to run showing this message when the download is complete due to software malfunction, a sudden system turn off, removal of the storage media, and more.
If you also see this Access is denied error, it’s time to take immediate action. We offer you a few troubleshooting tips that should resolve the issue, so check them out below.
How to fix WinRAR access is denied error?
1. Try out a different file compression tool
An archive might have dozens of files compressed in it and is it required to safely keep them there until you want to access them.
This can only be achieved by making use of a reliable file compression tool like WinZip. Give it a try too and you’ll see how simple it is to compress/decompress, protect, and share your files.
Yes, if your priority is security, then do keep in mind that WinZip protects your data with banking-level encryption.
This archiver also has quite a few nifty features to organize your photos in the cloud and it gives you the chance to access and edit files shared with you by others.
By taking into consideration all these aspects and the fact that it will keep you away from the Access is denied error, do consider downloading WinZip and using it as a WinRAR alternative.
WinZipLooking for a way to solve the WinRAR Access is denied error? Give a try to WinZip and you’ll forget all about this issue!
2. Try to re-download the WinRAR file
When encountering such issues, you could also re-download the WinRAR file. As said before, this might be caused due to various reasons including interruption during download and system shutdown.
In spite of that, this doesn’t mean that your file is corrupt and cannot be fixed. Just re-download it and once again try to extract the files off it.
This should eliminate potential issues from your WinRAR file during the first download, especially if you compare the file size of the downloaded file with the original one and you notice any differences.
3. Deselect Read-only
There are times when the culprit isn’t as dangerous as imagined. Instead of repeatedly trying to access the file, just to get the same error, right-click on the archive.
Then, find your way into Properties and in the attributes, simply deselect Read-only.
4. Use the WinRAR Repair function
- Browse to the WinRAR file’s location.
- Then, select the file and click on the Repair button found in the toolbar.
- You can now choose Treat corrupt archive as RAR from the pop-up window that shows up next.
- Wait until the repair process is completed. Then, click on the Close button.
- Finally, select the newly rebuilt archive to extract the files that you initially had in mind.
- Choose Extract without confirmation and the procedure should start right away.
When bothered by this issue, you can also try to use the official WinRAR repair tool. As you can easily imagine, it is specifically designed to fix problems like yours.
Do give it a try by using the above procedure and let us remind you that it’s safer to stay away from potentially tricky methods and unofficial third-party tools that claim to reliably repair all kinds of errors.
Don’t forget to tell us whether one of the solutions helped you this time. In addition, keep in mind that while closing the WinRAR file, it is essential to use the Exit option under the File menu.
If you terminate it directly, then there are chances for the RAR header to get affected, which can trigger RAR files to display such Access is denied error messages.
In case you have any suggestions related to the subject, please let us know in the comments area below.