- Zipping files in Windows 10 is as easy as it gets.
- Check out the quickest methods to do so below.
- If simply reducing the size won't cut it, take your file management skills even further and password-protect your data with these Best ZIP Encryption Tools.
- Check out more useful tips and tricks in our Tech Guides.
If you were wondering how to zip files with Windows 10, it can be done and it can be done with ease.
The only question is how advanced file compression we are talking about, as the built-in File Explorer compression isn’t exactly something you would call feature-rich. That’s where third-party tools come into play.
So, if you want to know how to zip a file on Windows 10, we got your back. And, as a bonus, we offer a more complex approach for those of you who want to step up their compression game.
How to make a zip file on Windows 10?
1. Use a third-party archiving tool
Using an alternative zip application such as WinZip is an effective approach since third-party tools obviously bring many more features when compared to the system utility.
It’s not just about the popularity of this tool, but it is really more than a just simple compression tool. It also allows users to share, manage, protect, and backup files.
WinZip is an all-in-one file manager that allows you to compress and decompress to save space on your hard drive, encrypt and password-protect your zip files and folders, manage and organize your files and so on.
Compatible with all major file formats, this tool allows provides you with a complete file management suite to handle your files effortlessly, share them, back them up and protect them according to your wishes.
Here’s a quick guide to zipping a folder with WinZip:
- Open the WinZip app
- Select the folder you want to compress with the tool’s pane
- Click the Add to Zip option
- Save your zip file in the desired location
Now, let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Extract multiple files
- Repair ZIP files
- Powerful compression tools
- Compatible with all major formats including Zip, Zipx, RAR, 7Z, GZ, ISO, TAR, IMG and more
- Encryption and password-protect ZIP files
- Archiving tools
- Integrated File Manager and File Splitter
- Data back-up and sharing options
Zip your files with the world's best compression software.
2. Use Windows resources
- Navigate to the location where files that you want to compress are stored.
- While pressing and holding CTRL on your keyboard, click on the individual files.
- After you choose what files are going to be contained in the compressed folder, right-click on one of the files and choose to Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder from the contextual menu.
- In case you want to unzip the newly-created zipped folder, just double click on it to open it.
- Once there, click Extract all and choose the extract destination. As simple as that.
That should do it. Those are the simplest methods to ZIP files with Windows 10. In case you have any questions, tell us in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about compression tools and techniques
- Why would you compress a file?
By shrinking the size, file compression allows you to store and back up more data, but also avoid files getting corrupted. If you’re already facing file corruption, here are some great repair tools you can try.
- How do you create a zip file?
The simplest way to create a zip file is by using a dedicated file compression software to instantly handle the operation for you.
- Does zip file reduce quality?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in July 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.