If you were wondering how to Zip files with Windows 10, it can be done and it can be done with ease. The only question is how advanced file compression we are talking about, as the built-in Windows Explorer compression isn’t exactly something you would call feature-rich. That’s where third-party tools come into play.
So, if you want to know how to zip files with Windows 10, we got your back. And, as a bonus, we offer a more complex approach for those of you who want to up their compression game.
How do I ZIP files on Windows 10?
1. Use Windows resources
- Navigate to the location where files that you want to compress are stored.
- While pressing and holding CTRL on your keyboard, click on the individual files.
- After you choose what files are going to be contained into the compressed folder, right-click on one of the files and choose to Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder from the contextual menu.
- In case you want to unzip the newly-created zipped folder, just double click on it to open it.
- Once there, click Extract all and choose the extract destination. As simple as that.
2. Use a third-party archiving tool
- Obvious alternatives are third-party tools that bring much more features, like WinRar or 7ZIP. So, you can navigate to their respective websites( WinRar and 7ZIP), download, and install one of the tools. Both would be an overkill.
- After the installation, you should see new options in the contextual menus. We went with 7ZIP.
- Again, select files, right-click on one of them and choose 7ZIP > Add to archive…
- Here comes the main difference between the system utility and third-party tools. There’s an abundance of compression options to choose from, like Format, Compression level, Compression method, or even Password encryption.
- Make your choice and click OK once you’ve decided.
That should do it. Those are the simplest methods to ZIP files with Windows 10. In case you have any questions, tell us in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Dropbox Zip file is too large to download
- How to password-protect ZIP files on Windows 10
- How to create and extract RAR files in Windows 10