- The Windows Update tool enables you to keep your computer safe by installing the latest security updates.
- Some users have, however, reported that they encounter the Windows Update error 0x800705b9.
- One of the most proven fixes for this error is to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
Several of our readers have recently reported experiencing the 0x800705b9 error while updating Windows.
Some claim that the update causes their systems to hang with different update error codes, such as 0x800705b9, while others claim that this error prevents them from installing Windows altogether.
What is the Update error 0x800705b9?
For Windows 11 devices to be secure, Windows upgrades are necessary. Microsoft releases cumulative updates regularly to close security holes brought about by third-party software, viruses, ransomware, etc.
However, occasionally Windows updates may not successfully install, leaving you with a Windows Update error such as download error – 0x800705b9.
The 0x800705B9 – ERROR_XML_PARSE_ERROR occurs during the installation of an update and it is mostly due to system file corruption.
The Windows update error can also manifest due to a poor Internet connection, Overload in the Update Queue, Virus/malware infections, conflict with drives or Hardware, etc.
How do I fix the Windows Update error 0x800705b9?
You should consider performing the following before engaging in any troubleshooting or settings tweaks:
- Ensure that you have a stable internet connection to download Windows update files from the Microsoft server.
- Ensure that you have enough disk space in your C drive to install the latest updates.
- Disconnect your external hard disk if it is connected to your computer during the download installation process.
- Restart your PC.
- Disable or temporarily uninstall your antivirus software programs.
If the problem persists, you can explore the advanced solutions below.
1. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Press the Windows + I keys to open your PC’s Settings.
- Click on System on the left pane and then Troubleshoot on the right pane.
- Navigate to Other troubleshooters.
- Click the Run button next to Windows Update.
- Apply the suggested fixes and restart your PC.
Windows Update Troubleshooter is one of the simplest ways to diagnose issues (Windows Update and others) affecting your computer.
2. Free up your Disk space
- Press the Windows key and select the Settings app.
- Select System, and then click on Storage.
- Click on Storage Sense, then toggle it on.
- Click on Storage Sense again and select Run Storage Sense now.
Running the Windows Storage Sense would help free up your Disk Space for the Windows Update download.
3. Download the updated file from the Microsoft Catalog Website
- Visit the Microsoft Update Catalog page. Then, type your KB update name in the search box and click on the Search button.
- Next, click on the Download button next to the specific KB Update that you searched for.
- Press the Windows + E keys to open File Explorer. By default, your downloaded file should be stored under Downloads.
- Double-click on the downloaded update file to install it.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Windows KB update file.
The Microsoft Update Catalog is the safest and easiest place to update Windows and download your drivers manually.
Take note of the solutions provided above, and if you cannot fix the download error – 0x800705b9, you can explore our guide on troubleshooting and fixing Windows 11 Update errors.
If you have further issues or queries, please leave them in the comments section below. Also, you can drop your suggestions or tell us which of the fixes worked best for you.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.