Sometimes, when users try to download and install new cumulative updates, their computers might display the following error message: Updates Failed. There were problems installing some updates, but we’ll try again later.
They are dealing with the 0x800f0988 error code.
As a consequence, Windows 10 can’t install the latest patch updates. Nevertheless, no matter how frustrating the issue itself may be, there are several methods that can help you to fix the update error 0x800f0988 quite easily.
What can I do when getting the update error 0x800f0988?
1. Clean up the WinSxS folder
- Firstly, open Windows 10’s search tool by pressing the Windows key + S keyboard shortcut.
- Enter the keyword cmd in the search box that opens.
- Right-click Command Prompt to select Run as administrator.
- Next, enter this command in the Prompt: dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup and press the Return key.
- Restart your computer after the command has cleared the WinSxS folder.
In Windows 10, you have a number of ways to perform the cleanup of the WinSxS folder. We’ve selected the easiest one and described the procedure above, so don’t hesitate to apply the given steps.
2. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
- To run the troubleshooter, open the search utility.
- Enter troubleshoot in the search box.
- Click Troubleshoot settings to open the window shown directly below.
- Select Windows Update and click Run the troubleshooter to launch it.
- Thereafter, go through any potential fixes the troubleshooter provides.
If you still encounter the error 0x800f0988, the Windows Update troubleshooter might also come in handy for fixing it. This is the official Microsoft tool to help Windows users in resolving all problems related to updates, so it will hopefully do the trick for you too.
If the Troubleshooter stops before completing the process, fix it with the help of this complete guide.
3. Reset the Windows Update Components
- Oen the Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Input these separate commands into the Prompt’s window: net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- Enter ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old in the Command Prompt and press Return.
- Then, input ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old into the Prompt, and press the Enter key.
- Restart the services by entering the following commands: net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
Resetting update components can also fix cumulative update errors. Thus, don’t postpone applying the given steps.
4. Reset Windows 10
- Enter reset this PC in Windows 10’s search utility.
- Up next, click Reset this PC to open the window shown below.
- Press the Get started button.
- Select the Keep my Files option.
- Click the Next and Reset buttons.
Users have confirmed they’ve fixed error 0x800f0988 by resetting their computer. This procedure option will take your PC back to a state similar to when you first turned it on, removing or keeping programs and personal files, depending on which option you choose.
Since Windows will handle everything automatically, it does not require much effort. So, it’s a procedure worth trying.
These are a few resolutions that might fix error 0x800f0988. If they all failed, you may also manually install cumulative updates by downloading them from the Microsoft Update Catalog.
Are things any better now? Don’t hesitate to share your experience with us by using the comments area below.