Sometimes, when users try to download and install new cumulative updates, their computers might display the following error message: Updates Failed, There were problems installing some updates, but we’ll try again later. The error also has an 0x800f0988 code. As a consequence, Windows 10 doesn’t install the latest patch updates.
Steps to fix Windows Update error 0x800f0988
1. Clean Up the WinSxS Folder
- Microsoft’s official resolution for error 0x800f0988 is to clear the WinSxS folder. To do that, open Win 10’s search tool by pressing the Windows key + S hotkey.
- Enter the keyword cmd in the search box that opens.
- Right-click Command Prompt to select Run as administrator.
- Next, enter this command in the Prompt: dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup. Press the Return key.
- Restart Windows after the command has cleared the WinSxS folder.
2. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
- The Windows Update troubleshooter is there to assist users resolve fix update issues, so it might come in handy for fixing error 0x800f0988. To run that troubleshooter, open the search utility.
- Enter troubleshoot in the search box.
- Click Troubleshoot settings to open the window shown directly below.
- Select Windows Update and click Run the troubleshooter to launch it.
- Thereafter, users can go through any potential fixes the troubleshooter provides.
3. Reset the Windows Update Components
- Resetting update components can also fix cumulative update errors. To do that, open the Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Input these separate commands into the Prompt’s window:net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- Enter ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old in the Command Prompt and press Return.
- Then input ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old into the Prompt, and press the Enter key.
- Restart the services by entering the following commands:net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
4. Reinstall Windows 10
- Users have confirmed they’ve fixed error 0x800f0988 by reinstalling Windows 10, which can be done with the platform’s reset option. Enter reset this PC in Windows 10’s search utility.
- Then click Reset this PC to open the window shown directly below.
- Press the Get started button.
- Select the Keep my Files option.
- Click the Next and Reset buttons.
Those are a few resolutions that might fix error 0x800f0988. Note that users can also manually install cumulative updates by downloading them from the Microsoft Update Catalog.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT: