- If Acrotray has stopped working, you might not be able to work with PDF files properly on your PC.
- Fixing this error is simple, but before you start, it’s advised that you scan your PC for malware.
- You can fix this issue simply by adjusting your startup settings and disabling certain applications.
- In case Acrotray freezes, be sure to check if required services are running in the Services section.
AcroTray.exe is an Adobe Acrobat Distiller application that is an essential part of Adobe Acrobat, but many reported that Acrotray has stopped working.
This can be a big problem since you won’t be able to work with PDF files, but in this guide we’ll show you how to fix that.
What can I do if Acrotray has stopped working?
1. Use malware removal software
Find out whether ActroTray.exe is a malicious file or if it’s generating unwanted ads that are slowing down your PC with the help of Malwarebytes.
This is a strong anti-malware software that can perform advanced scanning in order to detect and remove any type of threat. It warns you if you happen to visit a malicious or fraudulent site with content that can harm your system.
Best thing about this anti-virus software is that it doesn’t slow-down your device and it runs in the background with minimal impact on the performance of your PC.
If Acrotray freezes your PC, be sure to check it with this software.
Other great features:
- Artificial intelligence to identify emerging threats the second they come out
- User-friendly and easy to customize to your needs
- Ability to remove potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) for an improved performance
MalwarebytesKeep your PC free from all types of malware with Malwarebytes software.
2. Disable AcroTray
- Go to Search icon and, type msconfig to open System Configuration window.
- Select the Startup tab, click the AcroTray icon, and then click on the Disable button.
- Select Apply and then OK.
This is a straightforward solution, but it won’t work if acrotray.exe missing, so keep that in mind.
3. Stop startup
- Type Services in the Windows start-menu, choose Run as Administrator from the pop-up window.
- Select Adobe Acrobat Update and Adobe Genuine Software Integrity, change it to Manual.
- Go to Task Manager, access the Startup tab, terminate AcroTray.exe.
- Restart Windows.
As we’ve shown you in this article AcroTray can be a tricky app that can confuse even an antivirus to mistake it as a malicious file because of the .exe extension
However AcroTray is also an important component of the Adobe Acrobat software and we presented you some of its main attributes in addition to some quick fixes you should try when the app stops working.
We want to hear what are your opinions on this subject and maybe share your experiences with us, so drop us a comment using the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
To fix Acrotray error, fix any issues that you have with Acrobat Reader. If Adobe Reader is not responding, be sure to follow our dedicated guide to fix it.
If Acrotray has stopped working, it’s possible that there was a problem with Adobe Acrobat Reader.
No, Actroray is not a virus, but to be sure, you can scan it with antivirus software.