- Some third-party apps introduce adware into your smartphone that serves you ads whenever you unlock your phone.
- Get rid of these annoying ads by uninstalling the mischievous application.
- If you find this article useful, you should bookmark our Fix category that contains troubleshooting guides for all your software and gadgets.
- Browse our Software section for reviews and downloads of secure applications.
Thankfully, adware isn’t known to steal your data or install keyloggers. They are intrusive, nonetheless.
Also, these ads can take a toll on your battery and cause overheating or further damage. Since you’re here, you’ve already made the right decision to not tolerate them.
Read this guide to the end to learn how to get rid of ads that pop up on Android when you unlock your phone.
Internet pop up ads when unlocking Android – Stop the ads by disabling your Wi-Fi or mobile data. Uninstall the malicious app to remove the ads permanently.
Why do ads pop up when I unlock my phone?
Ads that pop up on your Android when you unlock your phone are brought by adware. Adware threats are pieces of malicious software installed on your device by third-party apps, and their primary aim is to serve you ads.
Adware spoils your user experience, they are annoying, and can even steal your data or hijack your device. Apart from these, most adware is harmless to your device.
You mostly experience ads pop up on your Android when you unlock your phone after downloaded and installing new applications onto your phone.
How can I stop ads from popping up on Android?
1. Verify that the issue is from a third-party app
- Press the Power button and hold it.
- Release the Power button when the shutdown menu appears on your screen.
- Touch the Power off option and hold it until you see Safe Mode.
- Tap Safe Mode.
At this point, your phone will reboot into the Android Safe Mode.
In Safe Mode, your phone boots with no third-party app. If you don’t see ad pop-ups on Android when you unlock your phone, it confirms that a downloaded app is serving the ads.
2. Uninstall the most recently downloaded app
Remember the moment the ad starts to pop up on Android when you unlock your phone? You probably downloaded a third-party app before that. If you do remember, then it’s easy to get rid of the ads.
Go to your home screen or the Settings page and uninstall the malicious app. Make sure you delete the app’s data off your phone after uninstalling it.
3. View recently used apps
- Power on your phone in the normal mode.
- Close all the apps that are open on your phone.
- Lock and unlock the device.
- When the ad shows up, as usual, go to your recent apps.
- Note the app you see as a recent app.
- Uninstall the specific app and clear its data and cache.
4. Check the running services
- Go to the Settings app.
- Select System.
- Find the build and tap on it 7 times.
- Return to the System page.
- Tap on Developer options.
- Open Running services.
- Find any abnormal app.
On the Running services screen, you’ll view all the applications actively working on your phone, as well as their supporting services.
After determining the app that brought the adware, you must uninstall it. However, before you finally uninstall any suspected app, deactivate it to be sure.
You can avoid ads that pop up when you unlock your Android phone by only installing trusted apps from the Google Play Store and other trusted places.