How to add a sound equalizer for Windows 10
If you are a movie lover, music lover, or gamer, chances are you’ve wanted a system-wide sound equalizer for Windows 10. There are many ways to add a sound equalizer for Windows 10. Yet, adding an equalizer to your PC can seem like a daunting task. Fortunately, the detailed steps below will show you how to add a sound equalizer for Windows 10.
Step 1: Update your drivers
Updating your drivers will ensure that they are compatible with Windows 10. It is also crucial to update for your to work properly. If you do not know how to update your drivers then these instructions will help:
- locate the sound icon, which is usually located on the bottom right hand corner of your screen on the task bar.
- Right click on the icon and a number of options should popup. Click on the playback option.
- A window like the one below should appear. Once it appears you will need to select the default speaker or headset device that you use for your PC. In the sample image, the device I use is called ‘sample headphone‘.
- Double click the default icon and a properties window should appear.
- If you are not already on the general tab, locate it and click on it.
- You should then be able to locate properties in this tab. Open properties.
- Click on the change settings option in the general tab. Go to the driver tab and click on update driver.
You can choose between automatically updating your drivers or manually downloading the driver and installing it. Either way works fine, but we strongly recommend to update them automatically in order to avoid system permanent damage by downloading and installing the wrong driver version.
Update drivers automatically
We suggest TweakBit’s Driver Updater. This tool is approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus. After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best automatized solution. Below you can find a quick guide how to do it.
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Disclaimer: some features of this tool are not free.
Step 2: Choose a sound equalizer compatible with Windows 10
Once you have made sure that your sound drivers are updated and working properly you will need to search for a sound equalizer that works well for you. The internet has numerous equalizer applications, so it can be intimidating to choose one. So the 3 best equalizers below will help make your search for an equalizer an easier one. Each of the three equalizers in this list will have a short introduction. If you want more information on how to install each equalizer than you can proceed to step 3.
This is the Windows version of the famous Boom from Global Delight Apps. It lets you choose the presets and you can manipulate with various frequencies from these presets. IF you are more advanced in all that is called ‘sound’ than you should be able to build your own presets.
A powerful intelligent engine lets your hearing senses adapt to the environment/sound combination. You can also choose the type of headphones you are using for a better audio experience. Boom 3D equalizer is available for free on the official website and fits perfectly on a Windows 10 machine thus being our recommended choice.
- Download now Boom 3D free from the official website
2. Equalizer APO
Equalizer APO is a highly popular sound equalizer for Windows 10. Its easy to use interface and simple navigation tools contribute to its popularity. Yet it also has numerous features and an attractive design. Equalizer APO works as audio processing object and is compatible with Windows 10.
Other features include low latency, VST plugin support, graphical interface, low CPU usage, numerous filters, and more. Users also have the option to download and use a customized interface. Powerful and convenient, Equalizer APO is perfect for first time users. If you are unsure on how to setup Equalizer APO, then the information in step 3 will help you out.
3. Realtek HD audio manager
This is the default equalizer found in many Windows 10 computers. Some users will have this automatically installed on their computer if they have the right type of hardware. If an user does not have this equalizer for some reason, then he/she can easily download it from the internet.
Realtek originated from Taiwan’s “Silicon Valley” and has been providing high end software since 1987. Fortunately, the Realtek HD audio manager is easy to use, attractive, and powerful. Users who are looking for a basic equalizer that has been proven and tested by time should try this software from Realtek. Some users do not even have to download it as they already have it on their computers. To learn how to download and use this equalizer go here.
3. Windows 10 Default Equalizer
Unknown to many, there is actually a default equalizer in Windows 10. Albeit, the equalizer is somewhat hidden and it is merely a settings window. In other words, there are no special graphics, features, etc. However, if you do not feel like downloading anything then the default equalizer is for you. Here is how you can find Window 10 default equalizer.
Step 3: How to add a sound equalizer for Windows 10
This section will show detailed instructions on how to download, install, or use each equalizer in your Windows 10 PC.
How to download and install Equalizer APO
- Go to here to download. The software is available in both 64bit and 32bit. Make sure to download the correct one for your PC.
- Start the program you have just downloaded and follow the instructions in the installation wizard.
- During the installation process you will be a configurator window will pop up. In this window you will need to select the default headphone or speakers that you use for your PC. It is important to choose the correct device in order for the software to have an effect. It is important to note that you can install the APO equalizer on multiple devices. The picture below shows that I have selected my default headphones which is labeled ‘ Sample headphone’. It is important to note that youcan reopen this dialog by opening configurator.exe, which will be located in the installation directory of this software.
- You will need to reboot in order to access the software.
How to download and access Realtek HD
- download the equalizer from their official website. If you already have it on your PC proceed to step two.
- locate the Realtek HD audio manager also on the bottom right part of the screen on the task bar. It should have a similar icon to your sound icon. In order to ensure you have the right icon, hover your mouse over it like the sample below.
- After you find the icon, right click on it and select sound manager.
- Once you are inside the sound manager menu, select the sound effect tab.
- Here you will have a number of preset equalizers as well as a graphic EQ. The image below shows you where to access the graphic equalizer.
How to find the default Equalizer on Windows 10
- Locate the speaker or sound icon on your PC.
- Right click on it and select the playback device option.
- A dialog named sound should appear.
- Locate the default speakers or headphones in the playback tab.
- Right click on the default speakers, then select properties.
- There will be a enhancements tab in this properties window. Select it and you will find equalizer options.
There you have it, you now know how to add a sound equalizer for Windows 10. With these few steps you can significantly improve the quality of your audio experiences.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2017 and has been since revamped and updated with new products so our users would have a wider range of alternatives.
- 7 best tools to edit audio files in Windows 10
- Looking for a good audio enhancer for your PC? Try DFX Plus
- Top 10 audiobook players for PC users
Installing Android drivers on a PC should be a walk in a park. You connect your handset with the PC via the USB cable and, […]
Do you have NOX installed on your PC? Are you experiencing any form of lag while running it? This article is specially designed for you! […]
Do you have ExpressVPN installed on your PC? Do you encounter connection problems after an update? This guide will help you out. Here, we’ll be […]