McAfee released an advisory on Tuesday stating that users in the U.S and nine other countries have been infected as a result of the recent ransomware attack. The ransomware first came into the spotlight with the start of the new year on Jan 1st.
Keeping in view the modular capabilities and the new code, McAfee further reveals the possibility of skilled cybercriminals behind this ransomware. The ransomware was first discovered on a private peer to peer network by McAfee’s security researchers. The researchers studied the prepared modular extension of the ransomware and warned its users about its potential to become serious.
Anatova compels PC users to click and download the malware by borrowing the icon of an application or a game. Apart from encrypting the files on a victim’s machine, it also targets all the files on network shares. The victims end up paying a ransom of 10 Dash coins (valued at roughly $700) to decrypt his files.
In case you want to be secure while surfing the internet, you will need to get a full-dedicated tool to secure your network. Install now Cyberghost VPN and secure yourself. It protects your PC from attacks while browsing, masks your IP address and blocks all unwanted access.
How to get rid of Anatova ransomware?
Solution 1: Enable Safe mode with Networking
You can stop the virus by entering Safe Mode with Networking. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
Windows 10 / Windows 8
Step 1: First you have to reboot your computer to enter Safe Mode with Networking.
- If you are using Windows 10 / Windows 8, first you have to press the power button at the Windows login screen. Click Restart after pressing the Shift key on your keyboard.
- Next, you need to navigate to Troubleshoot >> Advanced options >> Startup Settings and press Restart at the end.
- Finally, enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window as soon as you see an active screen.
Step 2: Restoring the system files and settings
- Open the Command Prompt window and simply type cd restore and hit the Enter button.
- Now you have to type rstrui.exe and hit the Enter button again.
- A new System Restore window will be opened, you have to click the Next button. The next window prompts you to select the restore point that was created before the Aanatova attack. After you have selected the specific restore point click the Next button.
- At the last step, you have to hit the Yes button for starting the System Restore process.
Once the System Restore is completed you have to make sure that Anatova removal is successfully removed from your system. It can be done by scanning your computer using a trustable Antivirus.
How to block Anatova ransomware
It is recommended that you should take necessary precautions while downloading files on your PC.
- You should stick to the official stores when downloading is required
- Avoid clicking any suspicious sources online
- Avoid considering offers that look too good to be true
- Secure your system with a reputed antivirus solution
- Consider warnings while navigating to a suspicious website
It is said that prevention is better than cure. You should consider having a fall back solution by backing up your data on a regular basis. This is the only way that you can avoid potential ransomware attacks and critical hardware failures.
- Many computers still infected with Wannacry ransomware
- 5 best antivirus software for preventing Petya/GoldenEye ransomware
- Protect your files from ransomware with Paragon Backup Recovery 16 Free