The Asana for Outlook add-in is a handy addition to Outlook. That add-in enables Asana users to turn their emails into tasks with its Create Task option. However, some users have said on the Asana forum that they can’t get the Asana Outlook add-in in to work. Outlook displays a This add-in could not be started error message for some users.
How can users fix the Asana Outlook add-in?
1. Double-Check the Asana Add-in’s System Requirements
First, users should check that their Outlook software meets the system requirements for the Asana add-in. The Asana add-in supports the Outlook 2016 web app and software for Windows and Mac platforms. However, it isn’t compatible with Outlook 2013.
Users also need to have an Office 365 commercial subscription to utilize the Asana email add-in. The Asana add-in doesn’t work in Outlook 2016 volume license packages. Thus, some users might need to uninstall Outlook volume license packages and reinstall Office 365 to get the Asana add-in started.
2. Enable Protected Mode
- Some users have confirmed that selecting the Enable Protected Mode option fixes the Asana add-in. To do that, open the search utility with the Windows key + S hotkey.
- Input the keyword ‘internet options’ in the search box.
- Select Internet Options to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Select the Security tab shown directly below.
- Then click the Enable Protected Mode setting there.
- Press the Apply and OK buttons.
3. Reinstall the Asana Add-in
- Reinstalling the Asana add-in might fix it for some users. To do that, open the Outlook 2016 application.
- Click the File tab, and select Options on that tab.
- Select the Add-ins tab on the window that opens.
- Select COM Add-ins on the Manage drop-down menu, and press the Go button.
- Select the Asana for Outlook, and then click the Remove button.
- Click the OK button.
- Click the Get it Now button on the Asana for Outlook page to reinstall the add-in.
4. Edit the Registry
- If Outlook has marked the Asana add-in as inactive, this registry edit might fix it. Launch the Run app with the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Enter ‘regedit’ in Run, and click the OK button.
- Open this key path in the Registry Editor:
- Select the DisabledItems key on the left of the window.
- Erase the Reg_Binary data by right-clicking all Reg_Binary data on the right of the window and selecting Delete.
- Select the CrashingAddinList key.
- Delete the Reg_Binary data for the CrashingAddinList key.
- Next, open this key path:
- Delete the Asana Outlook add-in key there.
- Then close the Registry Editor window, and reinstall the Asana for Outlook add-in.
So, that’s how users can fix the Asana for Outlook add-in. Some of the above resolutions might also fix other Outlook add-ins.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to fix Asana not working in Chrome
- How to fix Outlook’s action cannot be completed error
- Full Fix: Outlook 2016 crashes when working with mail with attachment