- Slack is incredibly useful if you’re managing a team, but you can turn in into a work management tool using Asana.
- To connect Asana with Slack, just download the Asana app in Slack and create a new task by using /asana create command.
- If you need to manage your workflow, Asana and Slack are a winning combination. If you want to learn more about similar services, check out our productivity software hub.
- Are you looking for more Slack guides? Be sure to check out ourSlack guides hub.
One of the great things about the Slack instant-messaging platform is that you can integrate a wide variety of web-based apps with it. Slack has an expansive app directory, which includes an Asana app.
That is a Slack app for the web-based Asana project management application. Therefore, that app enables you to integrate Asana project management with the Slack instant-messaging platform.
How can I integrate and utilize Slack with Asana?
1. Add the Asana app to Slack
- First, you’ll need to add the Asana app to Slack. To do so, download the Asana app from the Slack app directory.
- Then press the Continue button.
- Select the Slack channels for Asana to post to. To include direct messages, click Search for channels.
- Thereafter, you and any other team members will need to sign in to Asana from Slack.
- Click Asana within the Apps section of Slack’s left sidebar.
- Then enter this command in the message box: /asana.
- Click Connect Asana to Slack to grant app permissions.
- Then click the Allow button to enable the app to access the Asana account.
2. Set up a new Asana task in Slack
- You can set up Asana tasks within Slack. To do so, enter this command into Slack: /asana create.
- The dialog box window directly below will open when you press Return.
- Fill in the text boxes on that window.
- Press the Create button.
3. Turn a Slack message into a task
- Alternatively, you can set up a task from a Slack message. Hover the cursor over the message to set up a task from.
- Then click the More actions button shown directly below for that message.
- The More actions menu will include new Asana options. Select the Asana Create a task option.
4. Set up Asana notifications
- You can set up Asana notifications for Slack channels. First, select the channel on the left to set up a notification in.
- Next, enter this command in Slack: /asana link.
- Press the Return key.
- Thereafter, you can select a project to link with the channel.
5. Take action on Asana task notifications
When you see a task notification in a channel, you can select actions for it. Click the More actions drop-down menu on the right of a task notification. Then you can select Mark complete, Change due date, Add to project, and other options for it.
So, the Asana for Slack app effectively combines Slack’s instant-messaging platform with Asana’s project management. The app enables users to act on Slack messages with Asana’s project management options. Thus, it’s a great extension for Asana users.
If you have any more questions and suggestions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Both applications have their advantages, and while Slack is better for team communication, Asana works best as a project management software.
To integrate Slack with Asana, locate Asana in Slack App Directory and click on Add to Slack > Continue. Now choose the channels that Asana will use and click Install.
Slack doesn’t have a native project management feature, but it can manage your projects if you connect it with Asana.
Slack is perfect for small teams, and even the free version will offer a wide range of features to a smaller team.