- Slack is incredibly useful if you’re managing a team, but you can turn in into a work management tool using Asana.
- To connect Asana with Slack, just download the Asana app in Slack and create a new task by using /asana create command.
- If you need to manage your workflow, Asana and Slack are a winning combination. If you want to learn more about similar services, check out our productivity software hub.
- Are you looking for more Slack guides? Be sure to check out ourSlack guides hub.
One of the great things about the Slack instant-messaging platform is that you can integrate a wide variety of web-based apps with it. Slack has an expansive app directory, which includes an Asana app.
That is a Slack app for the web-based Asana project management application. Therefore, that app enables you to integrate Asana project management with the Slack instant-messaging platform.
How can I integrate and utilize Slack with Asana?
1. Add the Asana app to Slack
- First, you’ll need to add the Asana app to Slack. To do so, download the Asana app from the Slack app directory.
- Then press the Continue button.
- Select the Slack channels for Asana to post to. To include direct messages, click Search for channels.
- Thereafter, you and any other team members will need to sign in to Asana from Slack.
- Click Asana within the Apps section of Slack’s left sidebar.
- Then enter this command in the message box: /asana.
- Click Connect Asana to Slack to grant app permissions.
- Then click the Allow button to enable the app to access the Asana account.
2. Set up a new Asana task in Slack
- You can set up Asana tasks within Slack. To do so, enter this command into Slack: /asana create.
- The dialog box window directly below will open when you press Return.
- Fill in the text boxes on that window.
- Press the Create button.
3. Turn a Slack message into a task
- Alternatively, you can set up a task from a Slack message. Hover the cursor over the message to set up a task from.
- Then click the More actions button shown directly below for that message.
- The More actions menu will include new Asana options. Select the Asana Create a task option.
4. Set up Asana notifications
- You can set up Asana notifications for Slack channels. First, select the channel on the left to set up a notification in.
- Next, enter this command in Slack: /asana link.
- Press the Return key.
- Thereafter, you can select a project to link with the channel.
5. Take action on Asana task notifications
When you see a task notification in a channel, you can select actions for it. Click the More actions drop-down menu on the right of a task notification. Then you can select Mark complete, Change due date, Add to project, and other options for it.
So, the Asana for Slack app effectively combines Slack’s instant-messaging platform with Asana’s project management. The app enables users to act on Slack messages with Asana’s project management options. Thus, it’s a great extension for Asana users.
If you have any more questions and suggestions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comment section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Slack
- Which is better Asana or Slack?
Both applications have their advantages, and while Slack is better for team communication, Asana works best as a project management software.
- How do I integrate Slack with Asana?
To integrate Slack with Asana, locate Asana in Slack App Directory and click on Add to Slack > Continue. Now choose the channels that Asana will use and click Install.
- How do I manage a project in Slack?
Slack doesn’t have a native project management feature, but it can manage your projects if you connect it with Asana.
- Is Slack good for small teams?
Slack is perfect for small teams, and even the free version will offer a wide range of features to a smaller team.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.