After the recent Windows 10 update, several users have reported issues with the login screen. After the restart, the login screen displays “the username or password is incorrect” error.
This error usually occurs if you have the auto-login enabled for your Windows 10 computer. You can read similar complaints in the Microsoft community forums.
Every time I start my laptop this error, “Other User. The username or password is incorrect”, appears. My correct username is in the login box, I enter my password and continue.
If you are also troubled by this issue, follow the steps in this article to fix auto-login password incorrect error in Windows 10.
Steps to fix the username or password is incorrect error:
1. Disable privacy option
- Click on Start and select Settings.
- Go to Accounts.
- From the left pane, click on Sign-in Options.
- From the right pane, scroll down to the Privacy section.
- Under the “Privacy” section, you will see “Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update or restart” option.
- It is set to On by default. Toggle the little switch to turn it off.
- That’s it. Now you can log in to your Windows 10 computer without “this username and password is incorrect” error.
This issue occurs due to a new feature in Windows 10‘s new builds called Improve Boot Up Experience. This feature allows the Windows to use the user’s login information to apply to set up after restart or update.
However, it can also trigger the error mentioned above. Disabling the feature is the recommended solution.
2. Disable/Enable auto-login in Window 10
- If the issue persists even after disabling the Sign-in options, try disabling or enabling auto-login.
- Press “Windows Key + R” to open Run.
- Type netplwiz and click OK.
- This will open the User Accounts control panel.
- In the Users tab, uncheck the “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer” box.
- Click on Apply. You need to enter you user account credentials twice to apply the changes.
- Click OK to close the User Accounts window.
- Restart your computer and check if auto-login password incorrect error is resolved.
If the auto-login option is already unchecked, try enabling it. In the User Accounts control panel, check the “users must enter a user name and password to use this computer” box.
Click Apply again and enter the password. Click OK and restart the computer.
By following the steps in this article, you can fix the username and password is incorrect Windows 10 error. However, make sure that you don’t enable auto-login on shared computers as other users will be able to access the data from your computer.
RELATED STORIES YOU MAY LIKE: