- Karyotyping is a complex process that helps with an organism's chromosome mapping.
- The process is true as complex as it sounds, and software is used to help with it.
- There's aren't so many commercial tools available that can help with karyotyping.
- However, we've managed to bring together the best ones available in a single comprehensive list.
Karyotyping is the process of ordering and pairing of all the chromosomes found in an organism in order to obtain an all-encompassing view of the entire chromosome map of an individual.
But let’s first make sure we understand what chromosomes are in the first place. Chromosomes are structures that look similar to threads that are contained within the nucleus of each of your body’s cells.
Each chromosome structure contains the entire genetic information plan of your body. This dictates the way your body is structured, reacts to stimuli, predisposition to illnesses,etc.
Women have 2 X chromosomes, and men have one X and one Y-chromosome. Each cell of your body contains 23 pairs of chromosomes, 46 chromosomes in total.
In order for researchers to be able to understand the sequences of chromosomes of each patient, they use karyotyping software.
This type of software is designed to perform chromosome analysis, and it evaluates the structure and the number of a person’s chromosomes. By doing this, researchers and scientists can detect abnormalities.
In this article, we will explore some great software options that allow you to perform karyotyping analysis.
Which is the best automated karyotyping tool?
ArgusSoft is a great software option that allows you to automatically karyotype human chromosomes by band position, and can also be used for karyotyping of animals and plant’s chromosomes online.
- G, Q, R staining
- Automated karyotyping of human chromosomes with recognition of bends
- Automated karyotyping of pig chromosomes
- 3 built-in bases of standard ideograms of human chromosomes with various clearence levels – 400, 550 and 850 levels
- Can add bases of standard cromosome ideograms for other animal and plant species
- Sample preparation methods
- Input of metaphase plate images using a camera and a scanner
- Accompanying an image with graphics
- Automated division of applied and contacting chromosomes
- Comparison of chromosomes and ideograms
You can also use ArgusSoft to train the system of chromosomes recognition using pre-set preparations, can transfer metaphase plate images and karyograms in built-in database, can produce patterns of reports, correct karyograms and also store and print images and analysis results.
You can get training and support for using ArgusSoft from their official website . The support center includes training, maintenance and consulting services.
HiBand is a software created by Applied Spectral Imaging, that can perform advanced chromosome analysis by using digital karyotyping features.
This software uses automated scanning features for an in-depth analysis of the chromosome structure.
You can use the wide range of features found in HiBand for indexing, counting, storing, and managing results data. You can also use this powerful software to scan the chromosome sequence automatically.
The results obtained by using the karyotyping features found HiBand can be stored in a secure location with password protected and encrypted layers.
This allows you peace of mind regarding losing any important sequencing data, and because of this, also improves your lab’s efficiency.
Sorting through the results is done in a very easy way, you just need to search for the specific sequence of chromosomes, and all results are shown in a well-contained screen that offers easy access to modify, review, and also add tags to any of the files.
- Brightfield Karyotyping-G-Band and R-Band
- Fluorescence Karyotyping-Q-Band, R-Band and FISH
- Spectral Karyotyping
- Automatic chromosome counting
- Chromosome indexing and classification
- Advanced separation of chromosomes and advanced image enhancement
- Image gallery – can present all case metaphases and karyotypes on one screen
- Can compare chromosomes – see them side by side
- Abberant Ideogram – you can add chromosomes, cells, ideograms and annotations in an image generator
HiBand uses fully automated workflows for an increase in lab efficiency, has start-and-walk-away scanning features, finds metaphases, automatically read bar codes, uploads images real-time during slide scanning and also exports to lab LIS Central Portal and Database.
This karyotyping system has a greatly intuitive user interface that offer all the features on one screen. This allows easy and quick access to all the information obtained.
Ikaros can be used with Neon, which is a platform designed to help with image data and case organization.
Neon collects data from all imaging jobs, external sources and allows you to present them in a easy-to-understand way using a case management dashboard.
This tool allows you to always have important information close at hand and stored in a secure way, but uses very strong data management algorithms, has a nice range of ways to observe data and can provide specific searches based on keywords and data characteristics.
Check out more information about Neon and it’s features here.
Ikaros supports many different banding techniques – Brightfield G-Band and R-Band, Fluorescence Q-Band, R-Band and FISH – , offers a great number of pre-defines karyogram forms for humans, plants, and animals.
You can easily edit these forms to add any data required for the type of research you’re doing.
The fact that you can compare chromosomes by classess or by karyograms, offers you greately useful information that allows you to easily identify differences.
MetaClass is a great karyotyoping software that is designed in a modular fashion. This software helps you perform karyotyping and FISH studies of chromosomes.
MetaClass is formed out of the following modules :
- MetaClass Database
Database that can be installed with any of the modules of MetaClass. Allows you to store patient details and gives you easy access to results. You can create customized reports in any language with this module.
- MetaClass Karyotyping
Allows you to study a karyotype after the images of the metaphase preparation stage have been digitaly captured, and arrange them into pairs based on size, position, etc.
This module gives you excellent quality results when it comes to chromosome bands, and it can also provide you with professional-looking reports.
Key features include:
- The study of karyotype is analyzed under brightfield 100X magnification
- Can capture several Metaphase images
- Image quality is modifiable for crisper results
- Automatic classification of chromosomes
- 4 screen views – Metaphase, Karyotype, and Unclassified chromosomes window
- Can display chromosome prototypes
- Chromosomes that aren’t classified can be automatically or manually corrected – superimpositions, separation, crossings, rotations, etc.
- MTC session files or BMP images can be saved and reloaded at any time
- Can export individual chromosomes to the Metaclass Database with the possibility to add comments and notes
This is an analysis module that allows you to obtain Fluorescent IN SITU Hybridization (FISH) image.
This module captures images using fluorescent DNA probes and allows you to confirm genetic abnormalities – trisomies, microdeletions, chromosome rearrangements, etc.
FISH images are analyzed under 100X magnification and, for a wider range of image clarity, can also capture images with different filters.
If you are interested to find out more information about the modules presented above, and other features, you can have a look through the MetaClass catalog.
GenASis Bandview is another great karyotyping software that is built out of modules with different capabitilites. You can use this app to perform karyotyping diagnostics, and obtain accurate test results.
This software allows you to fully customize the workflow and the process of diagnosis, depending on the needs of your company and the goals you are trying to achieve.
The wide range of tools provided in BandView are easily accessible with just one click of the mouse, and offers powerful G/R/C/Q-Band karyotyping experience. You can choose between an automated or manual workflow when it comes to locating metaphases and capture images.
Chromosome abnormalities, if found, can be observed through addition, deletion, or the rearrangement of the patient’s genetic material. With BandView, you can use band of FISH molecular technique .
FISH uses flourescent probes to attach to different parts of the chromosome, enabling the software to detect and localize the abnormalitites found in specific DNA sequences.
In this article, we explored some of the best automated karyotyping software that exists on the market at the end of 2021.
The karyotyping software options covered in this article offer you a variety of features that will help you reach your company’s goals.
By using this type of software, you can count thousands of chromosomes structures fast, analyze with different professional techniques, and produce high-grade reports that will allow you to identify any abnormalities with ease.
We would love to find out what your opinion is regarding the software we presented in this top 5 list. Please feel free to let us know by using the comment section below.