FIX: ”avira.servicehost.exe has encountered a problem” in Windows 10
The applications as complex as antiviruses certainly are, have a lot of related processes and services. They are mostly working in the background without the greater effect on the system. However, there are various reports about an issue with Avira’s ”ServiceHost.exe”, which seems to cause an error.
It appears that this error prevents users from running Real-Time protection on Avira as the application fails and the ”avira.servicehost.exe has encountered a problem” error appears.
In order to resolve this, we provided you with the 3 solutions as presented below. Make sure to try them out.
How to fix ”Avira.ServiceHost.exe has encountered a problem” error in Windows 10
- Update Avira
- Make sure you have an administrative permission
- Scan for viruses with an alternative antivirus
1: Update Avira
This exact error doesn’t seem to bother users of contemporary iteration of the Avira suite. So, the best way to resolve this is to ditch the older version and get the latest one. Due to massive changes, the application update might not suffice, and therefore the clean reinstallation is a preferred approach.
- READ ALSO: Fix: Avast Antivirus Issues in Windows 10
If you’re willing to try out an alternative to Avira, we strongly recommend BitDefender, an amazing suite with the bundle of security features and high-rate od detections. In case you’re willing to stick with the Avira, make sure to follow the instructions we provided below:
- Open Start.
- Hold Shift and click on Restart.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Choose Advanced Options.
- Select Startup settings and then Restart.
- Choose Enable Safe mode or Enable Safe mode with Networking.
- In the Windows Search bar, type Control and open Control Panel.
- Choose Uninstall a program under the Programs section.
- Remove Avira and all related programs and restart your PC.
- Here it would be nice if you can use a third-party uninstaller as IObit Uninstaller and remove all the remaining Avira leftovers and registry entries.
- Download Avira Free Antivirus 2018, here.
- Install the application.
2: Make sure you have an administrative permission
Another thing you should take a closer look concerns permissions. Namely, the AviraServiceHost.exe might fail to execute if you try to enable Real-Time Protection without the administrative permission. This isn’t as strict in the later iterations, but if you’re, for some peculiar reason stranded with the older version, the administrative permission is a must if you want to let Avira operate in a seamless manner.
On the other hand, if you’re still seeing the same error over and over again even though you’re logged in with the Administrator account, you can force it to run as administrator by following these steps:
- Navigate to the installation folder where Avira resides. Usually, the path is C:\Programs\Avira.
- Right-click on the Avira executable file and open Properties.
- Select the Compatibility tab.
- Check the ”Run this program in compatibility mode for” box and select Windows Vista from the drop-down menu.
- Check the ”Run this program as an administrator” box and confirm changes.
- Restart your PC and try enabling Real-Time protection.
3: Scan for viruses with an alternative antivirus
Finally, even though it’s a bit funny concept to grasp, your antivirus might’ve been virus-infected. Now, it’s hard to scan for malware with the unfunctional antivirus. So, we’ll need to download a secondary tool and perform a deep scan. Also, you can use Windows Defender which is, as the case has lately shown, quite formidable opposition for third-party antimalware tools.
- READ ALSO: Review: Bitdefender Internet Security 2018
Follow these steps to scan your system for malware with Windows Defender in Windows 10:
- Type Windows Defender in the Search bar and open Windows Defender Security Center.
- Select Virus & threat.
- Choose Advanced scan.
- Select Windows Defender Offline scan and then Scan Now.
- Your PC will restart and the scanning procedure will commence.
This should wrap it up. In case you’re experiencing this error and have a better idea how to resolve this, make sure to share it with us in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- Avira Phantom offers free VPN service on Windows 10
- Avira Free Security Suite 2017 bundle comes with antiphishing, VPN, and protection
- Best Antivirus software to use in 2018 for your Windows 10 PC
- Antivirus blocking TeamViewer [FIX]
Are you sure you want to add, remove or change a mail account message can sometimes appear while using the Mail app. If this happens, […]