Smart TVs comes with the internet features allowing the users to stream and watch their favorite TV show or movie from Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. However, while browsing web pages or YouTubes the publisher will show ads that can be annoying for many. So how to block ads on Smart TV?
Several smart TV users have complained about the annoying pop-up ads in the Reddit community forum.
I tried some of the DNS solutions like adguard etc’ as suggested in the linked post but it didn’t work, are there any other ways or some other services with less ads?
Follow the steps in this article to know how to block ads on Smart TV.
How do I block ads on my Smart TV?
1. Install AdGuard DNS
- AdGuard DNS is a free DNS service that allows you to block internet ads on your Smart TV.
- There are two ways to use AdGuard DNS on your Smart TV depending on whether you are using an Android TV or other OS.
Install AdGuard DNS app
- On your Android TV, open the web browser and download AdGuard for Android.
- After installing the app, launch AdGuard, and go to Settings > DNS Filtering.
- Select the DNS server item.
- You will see AdGuard DNS and AdGuard DNS family Protection in the list of providers.
- Select one of the server and tap on Use this server.
- Launch any app on your Android TV and check if the ads disabled.
AdGuard DNS for Router
- If your smart TV is using any other US, you can use AdGuard DNS with your router.
- Open your router preferences using a web browser. Check the router manual to access the preferences menu.
- You may need to enter the password to access the Preferences menu.
- Navigate to the DNS setting section. Locate the field which allows two or three sets of numbers.
- Enter the following number in the shown field:
- for “Default” servers;
- for “Family protection” servers. You can use
- Save the changes and restart your router.
- Connect your Smart TV to your network and check if the ads are blocked on Smart TV.
2. Use Smart YouTube TV
- If you don’t mind using a third-party YouTube app, Smart YouTUbe TV can help you block ads in Smart TVs.
- Some of the features of the app include 4K support, run without Google Service, the stock controller supports a multilingual search keyboard.
- In your Smart TV, launch the web browser and download Smart YouTube TV.
- Launch the app and sign in with your Google account if you required it.
- Play any video and check if it can block ads on Smart TVs.
These are the two ways to block ads on Smart TVs. YouTube also offers YouTube Premium plan to watch ad-free videos for a monthly fee.
In this guide we explored some of the most efficient ways of blocking ads on your Smart TV.
If you found this information helpful, share your thoughts with us by using the comment section below.