- Distributors region lock DVDs to stop piracy and due to copyright issues.
- In this article, we explore how to bypass DVD region codes issue with three easy steps.
- Explore our How-to Hub for more Windows tutorials and tips.
- For more software guides and useful recommendations, check out our Software section.
If you ever bought a DVD from another region and it shows incorrect region code when playing, it is most likely region locked. So, how do you bypass DVD region codes?
Similar to OTT platforms, some multimedia contents like the TV shows, Movies, and videos can be region restricted. Since the DVD content is region restricted, you can only bypass this restriction by ripping DVDs to digital files.
In this article, we explore how to bypass & unlock DVD region codes with ease on your Windows and Mac system.
How can I change the region code on DVD?
1. Rip region-locked DVDs using the WinX DVD Ripper Platinum
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is a premium DVD ripper utility that allows you to unlock encrypted and region-locked DVDs by converting DVD contents to other formats.
Apart from converting DVD to MP4, WinX DVD Ripper Platinum can be used to backup DVD collection and also Rip DVD for playing on iPhone and Android devices.
- Download and install WinX DVD Ripper Platinum and launch the tool.
- Insert your region-locked DVD in the driver.
- From the WinX DVD Ripper Platinum menu, click on Disc.
- In the new window, select General Profiles.
- Select MP4 format. You can also select other formats depending on the device you are planning to view the media on.
- Select the destination folder where you want to save the converted file.
- Click Run to Rip the DVD.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is a feature-rich DVD ripper and backup utility available for both Windows and Mac systems.
WinX DVD Player
Easily bypass and unlock DVD region codes with this amazingly useful software!
2. Change DVD player region code
- Make sure the DVD player is powered on.
- Next, open the DVD tray, but don’t insert a DVD yet.
- Press the Setup button the DVD player remote.
- Go to Preferences and then choose Region on the screen.
- Depending on the region the DVD is locked to, select Region 0/9.
If you only see Region 0/8, it means your DVD Player does not support another region apart from the one that comes under Region 1-8.
When changing the region, it is important to note that most of the DVD players have limitations on changing the region. In most cases, you can change the region for about five-times.
Once you have exhausted the limit, your DVD player will automatically set the last region as the default region.
DVD Region Codes:
- R1 – Canada, the U.S., and its territories.
- R2 – Japan, Europe (such as the UK), South Africa, the Middle East (including Egypt), and Greenland.
- R3 – South East Asia, and East Asia (including Hong Kong).
- R4 – Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean.
- R5 – Eastern Europe, Russia, India, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia.
- R6 – China.
- R7 – reserved for unspecified special use.
- R 8 – Special international venues for air and oceanic travel.
- R 0, 9, or Region ALL — worldwide.
3. Use region DVD hack codes
You can also use DVD hacks to region unlock your DVD. To perform this hack, you need to access hack codes for your DVD player, depending on the DVD maker. Here’s how to unlock the DVD region for Samsung DVD players.
- Power on the DVD player and make sure the tray is closed without disc.
- Press the Repeat button on the remote.
- Enter one of the following codes depending on the region you are in:
R1 – 29334
R2 – 38767
R3 – 56732
R4 – 76884
R5 – 53814
R6 – 24462
- If you are in Region 2, enter 38767, followed by the region code 1-6 for the DVD you have.
- You can also press 9 if you want to make the DVD player region-free.
So, these are the three ways to bypass DVD region codes for your region-locked DVD. While WinX DVD Ripper Platinum offers an easy way to bypass the region restrictions, other methods are useful if you want to use the DVD itself.