If you see the error ‘Cannot connect to Microsoft services at the moment‘, you are not alone especially if you are a Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 user.
Windows users who get this error are unable to carry out any downloads on Windows Store because they are never connected. When any attempt is made to create a new user with their current Microsoft account, a green screen appears with a revolving disc accompanied by the respective error message
However, the “Cannot connect to Microsoft services at the moment” error message is a problem associated with the Microsoft account, and especially services such as Windows Store, Skype, OneDrive, Outlook, Xbox Live, Office 365, and Groove Music.
Fortunately, we have compiled some solutions to solve this problem.
How to fix cannot connect to Microsoft services at the moment error problem
- Change your Internet network
- Synchronize your Microsoft Account
- Use Internet time
- Use Microsoft Account Sign in Assistant
- Disable Proxy server on your web browsers
- Run Network troubleshooter
- Reset Windows Store cache
Solution 1: Change your Internet network
First of all, consider switching your Internet connection so as to fix the ‘Cannot connect to Microsoft services’ error. If you used a public Wi-Fi network, disconnect it and use another Internet connection, preferably dialup modem or private LAN to access Microsoft services.
Solution 2: Synchronize your Microsoft Account
Also, ensure you have a working Microsoft Account in order to access all Microsoft services. This error may be due to an invalid account or because you do not have a Microsoft Account.
Here’s how to create and synchronize your Microsoft Account on your PC:
- Sign up to create a Microsoft profile at Windows Live or if you already have a Microsoft account, proceed to the next step.
- Go to Windows Live Account > Enter your email address and password, and click on login.
- Enter the 5 digit code to the Confirmation area code you will receive in your phone number or alternate email address > Click “Next” to login.
- Go to your Windows settings and click on “Accounts”
- Enter your “working” email address and password” in the “Add user” menu and follow the prompts.
Also, after following these steps you can proceed to carry out downloads on Windows store or access other Windows services on your PC to test this fix.
Solution 3: Use Internet time on your PC
Also, another reason for cannot connect to Microsoft services at the moment error problem is because the date and time on your Windows PC is set incorrectly.
Here’s how to set the correct date and time on your PC:
- Go to Start > type “date and time” without quotes.
- Click on the “Settings” menu and select “date and time” to launch Date and Time window.
- Click on “Internet time” tab and select “Change settings” without quotes.
- Tick on the “Synchronize with Internet time server” check-box, select times.windows.com option, and click on “Update now”.
- After the date and time update, restart your PC.
For more information on how to fix Windows clock if it displays the wrong time, check out this guide.
Method 4: Use Microsoft Account Sign in Assistant
In addition, you can use Microsoft Account Sign in Assistant troubleshooter to fix cannot connect to Microsoft services at the moment error display. This tool must be downloaded and installed because it provides a walk-through troubleshooting guide to help you access Microsoft services.
Follow these steps to download, install and use Microsoft Account Troubleshooter tool:
- Download and install Microsoft Account Troubleshooter.
- Press the “Windows” key and the “R” key together to launch the Run program
- In the Run box, type “service.msc” without quotes and click on OK.
- In the Services window, scroll down to Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant and double-click on it to open properties.
- Set the startup type to “manual”.
- In the lower left region, click on “Start” if the Startup status is Stopped in the lower left > Apply > OK.
Also, you can run the Microsoft Account Troubleshooter as a standalone and follow the instructions to fix cannot connect to Microsoft services at the moment error problem.
Method 5: Disable Proxy server on your web browsers
Another reason for cannot connect to Microsoft services at the moment error problem is because the proxy server is enabled. Microsoft services may not be accessible if the LAN connection is anonymous i.e. proxy.
Here’s how to disable proxy server on your Windows PC:
- Launch your “web browser” and locate the “Internet Options”.
- Select the “Connections” menu and click on “Settings”
- Uncheck the “Use a proxy server” option and tick on “Use a system proxy system” option.
- Finally, click on “OK” and access Microsoft services again on your web browser.
Method 6: Run Network troubleshooter
Furthermore, Windows users find it difficult to access the Internet when the error ‘Cannot connect to Microsoft services at the moment’ is displayed. Hence, running the Windows network troubleshooter can fix the problem allowing you to connect to Microsoft Services, including the Microsoft Store.
Here’s how to run network troubleshooter:
- Press “Windows” key + “C” at the same time to launch the Charms bar.
- In the Charms bar windows, type Troubleshooting and click on Troubleshooting under Settings menu.
- Here, type “Network Troubleshooter” in the search option.
- Finally, click on “Network troubleshooter” to run the troubleshooter and follow the prompts.
Method 7: Reset Windows Store cache
Finally, you can fix cannot connect to Microsoft services at the moment error display by resetting Windows Store cache. Follow these steps to reset Windows Store cache on your PC:
- Go to Start >Type “Run” and hit the “Enter” key.
- In the Run program, type “WSReset.exe” without quotes and click on OK.
- After the Windows Store reset process, proceed by restarting your PC and then access Windows Store again.
In conclusion, you can try out any of the fixes enumerated above so as to solve the ‘Cannot connect to Microsoft services at the moment’ error. Feel free to comment below if you have any questions.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: “You’ll need a new app to open this ms-windows-store” error
- “We encountered an error please try signing in again later” error with Windows 10 Store [Fix]
- “Windows Store configuration may be damaged” error [Fix]