Fix: Unable to Change Static IP Address and DNS Server in Windows 10
Table of Contents
- IP address reported issues
- How to Configure Your IP Adress
- How to set a static IP address
- How to reset IP address windows 10 from cmd
- How to Change DNS Server
- Additional solutions.
- Use a VPN tool with static IP address provided
IP address reported issues
You probably know already what is IP address and how vital it is to get one for your PC. Also, you might be aware that Windows 10 could sometimes be very bug-prone. Many users have reported issues regarding IP address as the following:
- unable to set static IP in windows 10
- windows 10 static IP not working
- windows 10 not keeping static IP address
This time, one user complained that an unexpected error occurs when he wants to open Network Connection properties on an Ethernet or WLAN network in order to change a static IP address or change DNS Server.
One of Microsoft Support Engineers said that Microsoft is aware of that problem, but the specific solution still isn’t available in yet. Microsoft will try to fix this in future builds, but in the meantime, you could try some alternative methods for fixing this issue.
How to Configure Your IP Adress
- Go to Search and type cmd
- Open an Elevated (Administrative) Command Prompt
- Enter the following line and press Enter: Ipconfig
How to set a static IP address
You can manually change your IP Address with New-NetIPAddress cmdlet in PowerShell. In order to change your static IP adreess, open PowerShell and apply the following command:
New-NetIPAddress [-IPAddress] <String> -InterfaceAlias <String> [-AddressFamily <AddressFamily> ] [-AsJob] [-CimSession <CimSession> ] [-DefaultGateway <String> ] [-PolicyStore <String> ] [-PreferredLifetime <TimeSpan> ] [-PrefixLength <Byte> ] [-SkipAsSource <Boolean> ] [-ThrottleLimit <Int32> ] [-Type <Type> ] [-ValidLifetime <TimeSpan> ] [-Confirm] [-WhatIf] [ <CommonParameters>]
As you can see New-NetIPAddress has a lot of parameters, and here’s an explanation for some of them:
- AdressFamily – Specifies an IP Adress family, acceptable values for this string are: —IPv4 and — IPv6
- CimSession – Runs the cmdlet on the remote computer
- DefaultGateway – Specifies the Default Gateway of IPv4 or IPv6 address
If you don’t understand something, or you want to check the meaning of other parameters, here’s a complete documentation of New-NetIPAddress cmdlet.
How to reset IP address windows 10 from cmd
- Press the Windows key and type cmd
- Select Command Prompt and enter “ipconfig/release”
- Press [Enter] to release your computer’s current IP Address.
Ethernet adapter section will now be void of numerical values.
- Enter “ipconfig/renew” then press [Enter]
This will reset your computer’s IP Address and request a new IP Address from a DHCP server such as a router.
How to Change DNS Server
To change your DNS Server information, enter the following command in Powershell:
Set-DnsClientServerAddress [-InterfaceAlias] <String> [-AsJob] [-CimSession <CimSession> ] [-PassThru] [-ResetServerAddresses] [-ServerAddresses <String> ] [-ThrottleLimit <Int32> ] [-Validate] [-Confirm] [-WhatIf] [ <CommonParameters>]
Use a VPN tool with static IP address provided
Using a VPN tool with static IP address can help you in this situation. There are many of them on the market, but we recommend CyberGhost VPN, a leader in this industry. This tool has over 3000 servers all around the world and encrypts your data transfer. It will also secure your Wi-Fi while being connected to the internet through it. You can get it at a discounted price from the link below.
Check out these full dedicated guides with solutions for changing IP address and DNS server issues:
- [Fix] PC won’t acquire IP address
- “Windows has detected an IP address conflict” [Fix]
- FIX: DNS server issues after Windows 10, 8.1 update
If you’re still having issues on your PC or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we strongly recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as file loss, malware, and hardware failure.
That would be all, we hope that Microsoft will fix the issue with Network connection properties in the future until then these workarounds should work fine.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2015 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Microsoft recently added a new feature to its Bing Maps application. Users can now utilize their Bing Maps to have a look at traffic camera […]
Chromium-based Edge browser will offer high quality content by automatically switching the user agent. In this manner, Chromium-based technology ensures the browser is compatibility with […]