- Microsoft PowerPoint is the presentation creating tool from the Microsoft Office Suite.
- You can include videos in your presentations, and you can even trim the videos.
- For more guides like this one check out our dedicated PowerPoint Hub.
- We've also covered common Windows 10 issues in our Windows 10 Fix page, so check that out as well.
A number of users have reported that they can’t trim video in PowerPoint. This issue can become extremely frustrating in time, especially if you have a large number of projects that include videos.
Here is what one user had to say about this issue on Microsoft Answers forums:
Can’t trim video in PPT 2016.Is my version missing features or something? All the videos and articles i’ve seen about trimming video for PPT 2016 refer to a mythical “(Video Tools) Playback tab” that i don’t have. They say to click on the video and this tab is supposed to appear. It doesn’t. What am i doing wrong? I’m very frustrated.
Although WindowsReport is a Microsoft-centric website, many of our readers asked us to help them to solve this annoying PowerPoint error on Mac. For this reason, we decided to write this quick guide and save the day.
Please follow the steps carefully, and after each method try to see if it fixed the issue.
What to if I can’t trim video in PowerPoint?
1. Update your version of PowerPoint on your Mac
- Open up PowerPoint.
- Choose the option Help from the top menu -> select Check for Updates.
- Inside the newly opened window -> under the section How would you like updates to be installed? -> select Automatically Download and Install.
- Click on Check for Updates.
Note: In case you can’t see the Check for Updates button inside the Help menu -> download the latest Microsoft AutoUpdate Tool -> retry the steps mentioned above.
The easiest way to handle any particular issue is to usually go for a third-party tool that is designed to do just that in a fast and efficient manner.
That would be the reasoning behind why we recommend Adobe Spark for your video-trimming needs.
This suite of programs is specially designed to create and design visual content that can be used for businesses, education, social media, so trimming a few videos is second-nature for it.
The UI is extremely easy to comprehend, and the end-results always look fantastic and seamless.
3. Make sure your Office 365 subscription is active inside the software
- Visit the Services and subscriptions page.
- Sign into your Office 365 account by using the Microsoft account email and password.
- Observe the details under the Services & Subscriptions title.
- (If you see a circle arrow it means that subscriptions are set to renew automatically
- If you can’t see any subscription there, it means that is the reason for the above-mentioned error.
- To fix it buy an Office 365 subscription and activate it.
4. Trim videos inside PowerPoint using the Set option (for PowerPoint 2016 Mac version)
- Inside PowerPoint -> click on Video Tool.
- In the newly opened window -> click on the Set button -> drag the markers to your desired location -> press Trim.
- This method should trim your video file to the desired size.
Please let us know if any of these methods proved useful in your situation by using the comment section below.
FAQ: Learn more about trimming videos
- Can you trim videos in VLC?
Surprisingly enough, yes, VLC Media Player also features a few video editing tools such as a video trimmer.
- How do I trim a video online?
Simply find an online video editor, upload your video, specify other video settings for the resulting file, wait for the file to be processed, and download it again.
- Does trimming the video delete the original?
It all depends on your video trimmer and the settings that you’ve set for it.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in August 2019 and was revamped and updated in June 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.