- Uninstalling and then reinstalling the application may be the quickest fix for the Chrome address bar disappearing on resizing problem.
- The hardware acceleration feature might be the cause of the problem and can be disabled easily via settings.
- Because some extensions and plugins can cause browser operations to be disrupted, installing an excessive number of extensions is not advised.
As you try to multitask with Chrome, your default browser, and realize that the address bar disappears when you resize it, it’s quite annoying.
The problem has existed for a long time, but despite Google’s knowledge of the problem, it remains that way.
This issue can usually happen due to the excessive number of extension installations or improper Google Chrome settings.
How can I fix the Chrome address bar after losing it on resize?
1. Disable hardware acceleration
- First, click the three dots and then open Settings.
- Select Show Advanced Settings and scroll down to System then uncheck Use hardware acceleration when available.
Hardware acceleration makes use of your computer’s graphics processing unit (GPU) to handle graphics-intensive operations such as watching films or performing computations faster.
Usually enabling this option can cause problems like when the Chrome address bar disappears on resize.
2. Remove unneeded extensions
- Open Chrome.
- At the top right, click the three dots (More) then More tools, and then Extensions.
- After that, on to the extension you want to remove, click Remove, and then confirm by clicking Remove.
This workaround is only for Chrome users who have an excessive number of plugins and extensions installed, making it difficult for Chrome to change the layout on smaller windows.
3. Uninstall and Reinstall Chrome
- Click on the Start menu, type Control Panel in the search bar and choose Control Panel.
- Then, select Uninstall a program under the Programs setting.
- Find Chrome and select Uninstall.
- Finally, reinstall the application using the official Chrome page.
Uninstalling and then reinstalling is the oldest trick in the book that may fix the issue.
Remember to take note of your settings if you have modified the Chrome settings before because uninstallation will set the settings to their default.
Are there any good Google Chrome alternatives?
Vivaldi browser is the perfect alternative to Google Chrome and has even more options than the original browser of your computer.
It includes capabilities such as Notes, Screen Capture, Image Properties, and crazy amounts of settings like custom address bar location and tab organization.
If you already have Vivaldi but are having problems with it, such as pages not loading, see our article.
Google has never provided an official solution to this problem, but the thread shows that it is aware of the Chrome address bar disappearing on resizing problem.
While there might be no official fixes from Google, many users have shared their workarounds and solutions to this bug.
Using a different browser can be the easiest solution due to the huge amount of browser applications available for download on the web.
Let us know if you were able to successfully fix the Chrome address bar disappearing on resizing in the comments section below.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.