How to enable Cisco VPN client on Windows 10
If you are a person who wants to make sure that nothing bad will happen while being connected to an unsecured network, then you’ve most likely heard of VPN.
VPN stands for virtual private network and can help protect your internet connection by tunneling the connection between the two endpoints and encrypting all sent or received data. Also, an additional layer of security is included as you will need to authenticate in order to access data.
- A PC that runs on Windows 10
- Cisco VPN Client v5.0.07.0440 (check with your network administrator)
- Citrix Deterministic Network Enhancer (DNE) Update
- Administrative credentials
Once you meet all the requirements, you will be able to start installing and configuring the VPN client on your Windows 10 PC by taking the following steps:
- If you installed a previous version of Cisco VPN client, you will need to uninstall it and reboot the node.
- After that, install Citrix DNE Update software, but make sure that it matches your computer’s architecture (32-bit or 64-bit).
- Install Cisco VPN client version 5.0.07.0440 and reboot your computer after the installation is complete (if requested).
- You will now have to launch the registry editor. To do this, press the “Windows” button, write “regedit” and right click on it.
- Once Regedit is open, head to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesCVirtA, search for Display Name key, and double-click it to edit the entry;
- Change it from “@oem8.ifn,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter” to “Cisco Systems VPN Adapter”;
- Now you will have to close the Registry Editor, launch the Cisco VPN Client Software and configure it to connect to your VPN server.
HINT: Keep in mind that from time to time, you might notice Windows 10 flagging the application as unsupported and disabling the service. You can fix this by launching the Services.msc, find the service entry named “Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service”, right click on it and select “Start”.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Internet traffic will triple by 2020 according to Cisco estimates
- Microsoft will soon bring WebVR support to Edge in Windows 10
- 10 best VPN tools for Windows 10
Anyone who knows a thing or two about PC gaming most likely knows what Steam is. This video game digital distribution platform is probably the […]