- Reading comics is a great way to get rid of all the stress you accumulate over a long day at the office.
- Whether you like Manga, science-fiction fantasy, action-adventure or humor comics, you first need a comic viewer to open them.
- Adobe Reader is an excellent tool for viewing and reading comics as are all the other tools we will be covering in this guide.
- For more useful guides, visit our dedicated Document Management hub.
Need the best possible tool to read your favorite comic books on your PC? Check our list and find out which application suits you the best.
Reading comics in print brings so much fun so that you spend a lot of time sifting through each page. But if you want to extend the comics experience to your digital devices, you need the best comic viewer software tools. In no particular order, these are some of the solid comic readers available in the market today.
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Adobe Acrobat Reader is a popular tool for viewing PDF files. If you also need to edit, convert, and protect your files then the Acrobat Pro version is what you need.
But did you know you can also use Adobe Reader to view and read comics? Actually, you can read your favorite comic books on any device you want with Acrobat Reader — be it a laptop, desktop, or mobile device. All you need to do is download the Acrobat Reader mobile app and you can read your comics on the go.
Acrobat Reader is connected to the Adobe Document Cloud platform which means you can access your comics anywhere you are.
If you get to choose what format to download your comics, select PDF. There are two main advantages to this: this is a widely used format and you can view it with Adobe Reader for free.
Of course, if you need to view comics saved in formats other than PDF, use one of the tools listed below.
Icecream Ebook Reader (recommended)
The Icecream Ebook Reader is for the occasional comic reader only as it supports few formats including CBR and CBZ. As well as opening files, the app also adds comics to the library to help you view all your stuff or highlight your favorites, among other functions.
However, Icecream Ebook Reader does not include a rotate tool. Nonetheless, basic functions work as expected such as single, double-page, full-screen reading; and zoom, first, previous, next and last page navigation.
- Library. Manage your digital ebook library in FB2, EPUB, PDF, MOBI and other formats.
- Reading progress. Check how many pages are left to read and continue from where you left off.
- Book search. Find a book that you’re looking for either by author or title.
- Copy, Translate, Search. Select eBook text to copy, translate or search Google.
- Annotate. Add notes or highlight text with our EPUB reader.
- Better navigation. Use navigation scrollbar to browse pages faster.
- Fullscreen mode. Make the most of your EPUB reader in a full-screen mode.
- Bookmarks. Use bookmarks to revisit the most memorable parts of your book.
- Night mode. Read in low light or no lighting at all.
- Book mode. Transform your entire screen into a real book for maximum comfort.
While Sumatra PDF is not a dedicated comic viewer nor does it support a wide variety of file formats, it still ranks among the best comic readers today for its open source architecture and adware-free nature.
Plus, the tool is compact and includes a portable version. It supports file formats such as CBZ, CBR, PDF, ePub, Mobi, XPS, DjVU, CHM). Sumatra PDF also includes various viewing and browsing options like zoom, rotate, book mode, full screen.
ComicRack is a popular comic viewer for Windows, complete with features including multiple views formats, user definable Keyboard shortcuts, and thumbnail generation with customization.
The tool supports various comic book file as well as image viewing through ZIP, RAR, and 7z archives. The app sports a three-paned interface that you can customize to navigate through files and folders inside the program, browse your comics in a single pane, and read pages in another. The app also supports full-screen reading for a more immersive view.
Other features of the app are as follows:
- Native 32 bit & 64 bit versions
- Supports reading cbz/zip/cbr/rar/cbt/tar/cb7/7z/pdf/djvu comics.
- Database management (extended info storage, thumbnails, quick search, smart searches, custom lists, etc.)
- Full screen reading mode with two page display, various zoom modes, auto rotation (for tablet PCs), etc.
- Smart parsing of file names for good initial values (series, number, volume, year etc.)
- Comic Library Network Sharing with optional password protection
- Custom display grouping, sorting, stacking and filtering
- Multiple views formats
- User definable Keyboard shortcuts
- Thumbnail generation with customization
- In-viewer extended info editing
- Batch conversion to cbz/pdf/cbt/djvu of all supported import formats
- Synchronize your library with ComicRack for Android or ComicRack for the iPad
Meanwhile, the supported formats include:
- Reads: cbz, zip, cbr, rar, cbt, tar, cb7, 7z, pdf, cbw, djvu
- Exports: cbz, cbt, cb7, pdf, djvu
Despite delays in its updates, MangaMeeya still looks great for fans at Manga Underground. The app works well for manga comics, which require a great deal of translation and reading from right to left.
On top of manga comics, the app is also optimized as a comic reader and image viewer for all images. It also lets you read multiple pages at once, browse images by customizing key commands, and functions well as a sequential image viewer.
Comic Seer is a comic reader that supports various platforms including Windows and Linux. The app offers an easy way for reading comics through some handy zoom options that include fit height, width, all, and full-screen viewing.
It also includes a 4x zoom slider, a magnifier, rotates buttons, single or double-page display, and a Browse mode.
The tool is also able to open several files simultaneously and display each file in its own tab. Comic Seer saves and reloads these comics between sessions by default. Other features include a bookmark system, integrated comic metadata, and library support.
- Reads CBR, CBZ, CB7, CBT, PDF comic file archives and image files
- Supports all interface devices: mouse, keyboard, pen, touch
- Page memory
- Page rotation
- 1 & 2 page viewing (with auto-detect of wide pages)
- 1x-4x zoom
- Library browsing and visualization
- Library filtering
- Build your own CBZ files
- View and edit embedded comic information
- Advanced searching
- Comic Vine integration for finding comic information
- User selectable backgrounds
- Read progress indicators and filtering
- Primary and secondary live tiles
- Color correction
- Right-to-left manga mode
⇒ Comic Seer is available from the Windows Store.
FAQ: Learn more about comic book viewers
- How do I open a comic book file?
To open a comic book, you need a dedicated comic viewer software that supports the format your comic book is saved as.
The most popular comic book formats are CBZ, CBR, CBT, CB7, or CBA.
- What program opens CBR files?
You can use the following programs to open CBR files: Adobe Reader, Icecream Ebook Reader, Sumatra PDF, ComicRack, or Comic Seer.
- Where can I read Marvel comics for free?
If you want to read Marvel comics for free, head to the marvel.com website and go to the Read these free comics section.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2019 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.