- Eager to create a VPN connection in Windows 10? Jump into Settings and get everything running manually.
- You may also spare yourself the trouble of a manual procedure and choose a VPN with a Windows 10 client from the start.
- Discover more about how to keep Windows 10 privacy at the highest level possible.
- For more tips as the ones below, take your time and check out our VPN Guides Hub too.
If you’ve got more than one Windows 10 device – like two Windows 10 PCs, a laptop, or a tablet – then you can use a VPN connection to give Internet access to all these devices in your home.
Once you subscribe to a VPN service, you should have access to a list of servers (more or less generous) for your future connections.
Moreover, you’ll most likely have to use manual sign-in information – username and password or the certificate itself – depending on the service you’ve decided to try out.
Then, creating a VPN connection for your Windows 10 device can be done very easily. You will manage to do so by following the steps detailed a few rows below.
How can I create a VPN connection on Windows 10?
1. Establish the connection within the click of a button
You can secure yourself by installing Private Internet Access, a leader in the VPN market that will work like a breeze on your Windows 10 devices thanks to the included client.
Developed by Kape Technologies, it protects your PC from attacks while browsing, masks your IP address, and blocks all unwanted access.
Once you have the sign-in information for the Windows 10 app, feel free to set up a connection by simply clicking the button that says Connect.
And don’t forget something important – besides the Windows 10 app, this VPN also has clients for Mac OS, Linux, Android, iOS, as well as Linux.
Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access lets you create a connection with the Windows client in no time. Take advantage of the best deal right away!
2. Manually configure a VPN connection on your computer
- Right-click the Start button > Settings > Network & Internet.
- Click VPN.
- Then, click Add a VPN connection.
- Click the dropdown menu below the VPN provider.
- Go to Windows (built-in)> Connection name field.
- Type a name for the VPN connection.
- Click the Server name or address field and complete it with the right details found in your VPN account.
- Click the dropdown menu below VPN type and choose a connection protocol.
- Click the dropdown menu below Type of sign-in info and click a sign-in method.
- Hit Save next.
- Click PIA or the VPN you previously set up.
- Click Connect and enter both username and password.
In case of running Windows 10 in S mode or if PIA wasn’t your cup of tea and you’re using a VPN without a client, you can manually establish the VPN connection too.
You just need to use the above steps in that regard.
So here you have, two easy ways to create a VPN connection in our Windows 10 PC. Use the area below for any additional comments on this article.
FAQ: Learn more about using a VPN on your PC
- Which VPN is best for PC?
If you need a VPN for your PC, Private Internet Access is well worth a closer look as it is equipped with great features for both tech-savvy users and newbies.
- How do I create a VPN connection?
To create a VPN connection in Windows 10, right-click the Start button, then select Settings > Network & Internet > VPN and apply these quick steps.
- How do I automatically connect to a VPN in Windows 10?
To do so, open the Services window, find Open VPN Service, and choose Automatic for Startup type. If the connection failed with error 691, use this dedicated guide to fix it.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in May 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.