How to Create a VPN Connection in Windows 8, 8.1
If you’ve got more than one devices that uses a Windows 8 operating system like two Windows 8 PC’s, a smartphone or a tablet then you can use the VPN connection you have on Windows 8 in order to give internet access to all your devices in your home. Creating a VPN connection for a group of devices on Windows 8 can be done very easily and you will manage to do so by following the steps present a few rows below.
In order to give internet access to multiple devices on Windows 8 we will need first to create an ICS (this ICS is an Internet Connection Sharing feature available on Windows 8 as well as the previous Windows versions). In order to do this we won’t even have to run the PIA (Private Internet Access ) feature on your router, we can do it directly from our Windows 8 PC.
Many VPN connections are not entirely secured if they are not supported by professionals. You can secure yourself by installing Cyberghost (77% flash sale), a leader in the VPN market. It protects your PC from attacks while browsing, masks your IP address and blocks all unwanted access.
Tutorial on how to create a VPN connection for internet access on Windows 8
- First thing we need to do is install Private Internet Access client on our Windows 8 PC if you don’t have it already.
- Click(left click) on the “Start” button in Windows 8.
- Let’s type in the search box you have in the “Start” menu “cmd”.
- The system will find a “cmd.exe” icon, we will need to click (right-click) on it and then from the menu presented we need to click (left click) on the “Run as Administrator” feature.
- We will need to type in the command window that pops up the lines below (type exactly how it shows below).
Note: write the commands posted below without the quotes and for SSID we have used “Example” and for the key we have used “12345” but you can change this.
“netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Example key=12345”
“netsh wlan start hostednetwork”
- After you typed the commands as they show above you should get the message “The hosted network started”.
Note: If you did not type the commands correctly or there is a problem with your Wifi driver you will most like receive this message:
“The hosted network couldn’t be started.
The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.”
- In this case you will need to update your Wifi driver and also check in Device Manager if you have your Wifi adapter set on “Enable”, if not please enable it.
- Also if you wish to check if your Wifi is working correctly you can type in the command window you opened up the following sentence “netsh wlan show drivers” and if your Wifi is working correctly it will show the following message: “Hosted network supported : Yes”
- The next step after you successfully started the hosted network is to set in Windows 8 the sharing feature for PIA VPN connection. To do this we will need to click (left click) on the Wifi icon you have in the lower right corner of the desktop screen on Windows 8.
- Click(left click) on “Open Network and Sharing Center” you have in the lower side of the Wifi window you opened above.
- Click (left click) on “Change adapter Settings” you have in the left side of the window “Network and sharing center”.
- You will have there “Local Area Connection 2” or if you don’t have that name there look for “TAP-Win32 Adapter V9”.
Click (right click) on the icon with “Local Area Connection 2” and click (left click) on “properties”.
- Click (left click) on “Sharing” tab you have in the upper side of the window you opened.
- Check the box next to “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”
- Click (left click) on the drop-down menu under “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” and select the virtual Wifi adapter you have.
- After you finish this click (left click) on the button “OK” in the lower side of the window “Local Area Connection 2 Properties”.
- Now we need to connect with another device to the network we have created by the name “Example” and writing the password “12345”.
- You will have to do this with the devices you want to connect to your VPN PIA’s.
Note: if you shutdown the Windows 8 PC you created the VPN on unfortunately you will lose the Wifi connection on the other devices. But fortunately for after we power up again the Windows 8 VPN PC we can go again in the Windows command window and type “netsh wlan start hostednetwork”(this will start your VPN network again).
- If you want to interrupt the VPN connection all you need to do is go on the Windows 8 command window again and type(without quotes):
“netsh wlan stop hostednetwork”
“netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow”
So here it is, an easy way to create a VPN connection in our Windows 8 PC. Also if you are looking for a more customized way to create a VPN connection for internet access there are also some programs designed specifically for this.
Write us below for any additional comments on this article and what we should improve to make your Windows 8 better.
There aren’t too many problems that may occur while you’re using the on-screen keyboard in Windows 10. Because it’s the on-screen keyboard, a simple feature […]
Many Windows 10 users reported that image is not displaying in Chrome. In order to fix this problem we came up with a quick guide, […]