The best cross-platform media players to use
Are you looking for a cross-platform media player? Then you’ve come to the right place. In this article, you’ll find a list of the best cross-platform media players currently available on the market.
Cross-platform media players
VLC doesn’t need any introduction. This free, open source cross-platform multimedia player is perhaps the most popular media player in the world.
This tool can play absolutely everything: media files, discs, streams, you name it. It plays most codecs with no codec packs needed, and is completely free. It doesn’t feature any spyware, ads or user tracking.
Moreover, you can fully customize it: you can add skins, create skins with the VLC skin editor, and install various extensions.
You can download VLC for free from Videolan.
Another great feature of MPlayer is the wide range of supported output drivers: X11, Xv, DGA, OpenGL, SVGAlib, fbdev, AAlib, DirectFB, GGI, SDL, VESA, as well as some low level card-specific drivers.
The tools supports onscreen display, fullscreen, anti-aliased shaded subtitles and visual feedback for keyboard controls, as well as 12 subtitle formats.
Interested in MPlayer? You can download it from MPlayerHQ.
It is worth mentioning that there is also a fork of MPlayer, called MPV. This tool shares some features with the former projects, and also introduces new capabilities, such as:
- Streamlined CLI options: MPlayer’s options parser was improved to behave more like other CLI programs.
- On Screen Controller triggered by mouse movement.
- High quality video output: MPV has an OpenGL based video output that supports video scaling, color management, frame timing, interpolation, and more.
- You can now embed MPV in other apps and use it as a library.
VideoJS is a free, open source HTML5 media player that offers basic playback functionalities, such as autoplay and preload, fullscreen display and subtitles.
Since it’s an open source tool, you can easily alter the code and upgrade the tool. VideoJS is not browser-dependent, meaning that you can download a copy of the player to use it offline.
The latest version of the tool is VideoJS 6.0, which brings accessibility improvements of the controls and components, as well as some new features for developers.
Interested in VideoJS? You can download it from its official website.
Clementine Music Player
Here are Clementine’s main features:
- Search and play your local music library
- Listen to internet radio
- Search and play songs you’ve uploaded to Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive
- Create smart playlists and dynamic playlists.
- Play audio CDs.
- Transcode music into MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Speex, FLAC or AAC.
- Discover and download Podcasts.
- Remote control using an Android device, a Wii Remote, MPRIS or the command-line.
If you’re looking for a cross-platform music player, Clementine is a very good choice. You can download it for free from its official webpage.
There you go, these are the best cross-platform players currently available. If you’ve used other similar tools, you can tell us more about your experience in the comments below.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Download the TVPlayer app for Windows 10 Mobile and Xbox One
- “Bsplayer exe an error occurred in the application” error [Fix]
Cloud backup, which is otherwise known as online backup, has become a necessity for computer users today. Due to the spate of file/data theft, loss, […]
If you find yourself looking at a Server execution failed error inside the Add roles and Features wizard, you must know you are not the […]